Anyone used “Spray.bike” paint? Sounds amazing!

Currently have a Magenta Pink Swobo single speed, it's going to get the Salsa Beargrease/Klein Backfire treatment
So painting over a existing clean paint finish, tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
Will need some slightly warmer weather as I will have to paint outside, so it might be a week or two after it arrives, going by the current 1" snow outside

gil_m":5vdjticf said:
... tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
Will need some slightly warmer weather as I will have to paint outside, so it might be a week or two after it arrives, going by the current 1" snow outside

I´d absolutely key the areas you want to paint. Spraying over glossy paint will not adhere. Fluoro colors will benefit from a white basecoat, otherwise you´ll need a ton of layers for proper coverage, especially if the base is also neon paint. Also spraying in temperatures less than 15C is hopeless in my experience. You´ll have runs or the layers have to be so thin that the surface will be "powdery".

If you absolutely must do it in colder environments and without prep, at least put the can on a radiator beforehand and do a test on a small area less seen (inside of dropout?).

Dr

gil_m":dvjgy6pj said:
Currently have a Magenta Pink Swobo single speed, it's going to get the Salsa Beargrease/Klein Backfire treatment
So painting over a existing clean paint finish, tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Dr Dremel":t5ry7dmf said:
gil_m":t5ry7dmf said:
... tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...

I´d absolutely key the areas you want to paint. Spraying over glossy paint will not adhere. Fluoro colors will benefit from a white basecoat, otherwise you´ll need a ton of layers for proper coverage, especially if the base is also neon paint. Also spraying in temperatures less than 15C is hopeless in my experience. You´ll have runs or the layers have to be so thin that the surface will be "powdery".

If you absolutely must do it in colder environments and without prep, at least put the can on a radiator beforehand and do a test on a small area less seen (inside of dropout?).

Dr

I would agree with all the above, but according to the blurb this "wonder paint" doesn't need any of this, except reasonable temperatures...

I'm still edging towards a light "key" but will only be using standard colours, Orange and Yellow so hope the base Magenta will be a bright enough "base"

Guess the proof will be in the pudding, roll on warmer days :?

Re:

This time of year...
You certainly need to have the can warm. Put it in a bowl of hot water if doing outside.
As long as your putting heat on the object your spraying you should be good.
Even if you heat the fork up with a hair dryer and go. Don't use both at the same time though. :LOL:

I can get a thin powdercoat like finish with aerosols you just have to know what your doing.

Try and use a fan cap. Thin coats leaving time between each coat.

J

Any updates on this wonder paint , now its roasting hot weather perfect time for painting projects ... i got some Tange big forks that need a lick of paint ..
May bite the bullet and power coat them.

Re:

I used Halfords in the end. Made an okay job of a fluro orange bottle cage, not helped by winter temperatures and general lack of know-how but got there in the end. Then the whole bike was nicked along with three others, some wheels and all of my tools. Hey-ho. Insurance money now burning a hole...

Latest posts

Back