Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:05 am 
Sticker Master
Sticker Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:22 pm
Posts: 2507
Location: North Yorkshire
Currently have a Magenta Pink Swobo single speed, it's going to get the Salsa Beargrease/Klein Backfire treatment
So painting over a existing clean paint finish, tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
Will need some slightly warmer weather as I will have to paint outside, so it might be a week or two after it arrives, going by the current 1" snow outside


Last edited by gil_m on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 pm
Posts: 38
gil_m wrote:
... tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
Will need some slightly warmer weather as I will have to paint outside, so it might be a week or two after it arrives, going by the current 1" snow outside


I´d absolutely key the areas you want to paint. Spraying over glossy paint will not adhere. Fluoro colors will benefit from a white basecoat, otherwise you´ll need a ton of layers for proper coverage, especially if the base is also neon paint. Also spraying in temperatures less than 15C is hopeless in my experience. You´ll have runs or the layers have to be so thin that the surface will be "powdery".

If you absolutely must do it in colder environments and without prep, at least put the can on a radiator beforehand and do a test on a small area less seen (inside of dropout?).

Dr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:55 pm
Posts: 481
Location: YORKSHIRE
Err.Dont leave it on the rad too long or you could have a fancy new kitchen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 am
Posts: 110
gil_m wrote:
Currently have a Magenta Pink Swobo single speed, it's going to get the Salsa Beargrease/Klein Backfire treatment
So painting over a existing clean paint finish, tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
Will need some slightly warmer weather as I will have to paint outside, so it might be a week or two after it arrives, going by the current 1" snow outside

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:28 pm 
Sticker Master
Sticker Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:22 pm
Posts: 2507
Location: North Yorkshire
Dr Dremel wrote:
gil_m wrote:
... tempted to "key" the paint a little on the areas I will be painting but looking at the suggested application directions I don't need to...
Will need some slightly warmer weather as I will have to paint outside, so it might be a week or two after it arrives, going by the current 1" snow outside


I´d absolutely key the areas you want to paint. Spraying over glossy paint will not adhere. Fluoro colors will benefit from a white basecoat, otherwise you´ll need a ton of layers for proper coverage, especially if the base is also neon paint. Also spraying in temperatures less than 15C is hopeless in my experience. You´ll have runs or the layers have to be so thin that the surface will be "powdery".

If you absolutely must do it in colder environments and without prep, at least put the can on a radiator beforehand and do a test on a small area less seen (inside of dropout?).

Dr


I would agree with all the above, but according to the blurb this "wonder paint" doesn't need any of this, except reasonable temperatures...

I'm still edging towards a light "key" but will only be using standard colours, Orange and Yellow so hope the base Magenta will be a bright enough "base"

Guess the proof will be in the pudding, roll on warmer days :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 3564
Location: Cambs UK
This time of year...
You certainly need to have the can warm. Put it in a bowl of hot water if doing outside.
As long as your putting heat on the object your spraying you should be good.
Even if you heat the fork up with a hair dryer and go. Don't use both at the same time though. :lol:

I can get a thin powdercoat like finish with aerosols you just have to know what your doing.

Try and use a fan cap. Thin coats leaving time between each coat.

J


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 2:59 pm
Posts: 77
Location: Outside looking in .....
Any updates on this wonder paint , now its roasting hot weather perfect time for painting projects ... i got some Tange big forks that need a lick of paint ..
May bite the bullet and power coat them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:08 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:42 am
Posts: 110
I used Halfords in the end. Made an okay job of a fluro orange bottle cage, not helped by winter temperatures and general lack of know-how but got there in the end. Then the whole bike was nicked along with three others, some wheels and all of my tools. Hey-ho. Insurance money now burning a hole...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: regan_ev, stingray230sx, TOMAS and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group