Resurrecting 1997 Klein Mantra Comp

npn

Retro Guru
First thing first... it is 1997 isn't it?

oWGoGNN.jpg

0XjWvF1.jpg

Re:

In general, I'd like to know if there's anything absolutely preventing this frame from being restored and turned into a high-end bike again.

Then, this concerns me -- any thoughts?

BBKimcQ.jpg

the other side looks fine:

H59Qf1H.jpg

Re:

This is a lesser concern. And while I have no clue why anybody would go through the trouble of cutting the seat post like that, I should be able to get the stuck piece out.

5J6cLv3.jpg

saw two lines straight down the gap where the stuck post is, that'll free it up! assuming you are respraying once it has been sand blasted you'll have a clearer idea of corrosion etc. getting the correct shock in good condition will be the biggest challenge

Yes it's a 97.

The weld between the pivot ears and down tube was a weak point, main reason the yellow rear ends were replaced with black ones very soon after release.

Check all the welds carefully, if not cracked by now you should be ok.

How do you remove the pivots? I couldn't find a thread here re that. Another site had instructions but it seems that my setup is different and might require a special tool?

I have a few pics up un the german mtb forum, maybe they are of help?
https://fotos.mtb-news.de/s/69183?page=2

First to remove the two retaining coups. You need to know they are slightly different. One has a thread, the other one doesn't.

1) Remove the nut

2) Loosen the allen bolt a few turns, so it stays in the thread of the opposing coup,

then give it a blow so the coup with the shred pops out.

3) Remove the bolt and the coup that you just loosened.
4) put the nut on the allen bolt and screw it in so far that the thread sticks out 5mm
5) Stick the allen bolt through the the pivot and use a hammer to pop the second coup

Now comes the tricky part. You have to press or hammer out the bushing sleeve. Be sure to secure the pivot eyelets from breaking. Best would be to use a vise with plastic jaws. Or use some redneck hi tech like I did. (This is really scatchy, I know...):

Just make sure, the eyelets cant bend to the outside or they might brake.

That sleeve can be a real pain. Be careful not to mar it up by using properly fitting spanner sockets to hammer on ;)

What do you have in mind for a dampener?

Thanks Thias, this is helpful!

This part is especially helpful -- do you have any picture of what the sleeve looks like?

And to your question - I have to see what the dampeners looks like and go from there. Do you have an idea where I can get them if I need them?

Thias":37wwiorx said:
Now comes the tricky part. You have to press or hammer out the bushing sleeve. Be sure to secure the pivot eyelets from breaking. Best would be to use a vise with plastic jaws. Or use some redneck hi tech like I did. (This is really scatchy, I know...):

Just make sure, the eyelets cant bend to the outside or they might brake.

That sleeve can be a real pain. Be careful not to mar it up by using properly fitting spanner sockets to hammer on ;)

What do you have in mind for a dampener?

Back