Is this a Raleigh Apex

Ash1980

Retro Newbie
My mate when i was 14 had a Raliegh Apex the purple one and i liked it a lot. So 24 years later i needed a bike to commute to my local train station. So on ebay i found a Raleigh Apex great. I went to look at it but it didn't look exactly like the one my mate had. Anyway for £40 i thought well i like it so i brought it. I still ride it today. The sticker on the frame is all faded and broken so you cant actually read its a Apex? It is from that age when all the frames were the same but with different componants. Can a steel frame rider who is a super geek confirm if it is actually an Apex? I still loce riding it and have eventaken it to a few bike parks. Please let me know if its the first edition Apex or what it is.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-19-21-59-40.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-19-21-59-40.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 487
Re:

I've had a couple of Apex's they were both pinky purple. Here's a picture for comparision ;)
Welcome to the forum!

Attachments

• APEX 002.JPG
    APEX 002.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 478
Re:

Thats why im asking as mine is more Red than the Apex purple? And it has slightly different gear shifters and handle bar??

Re:

Does it have 300lx gears? The early Apex had 300 lx the later ones had the Exage gears.
Looks like a worthy steed.

Re:

I thought i would share some more pics as the main one isnt that clear. Please someone tell me what it is. Its bugging me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-06-20-06-14-02-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-20-06-14-02-1.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 442
It's clearly a Raleigh but it's also had paint (and badly too) at some point. It does appear to be the later designed K2 frame with the shot in stays rather that the original with brazed on the side Raleigh embossed stays (these would have probably been a 300LX bike, with the shot in design Exage). The rear mech is a cheapo Tourney and needs binning, the Exage can be found easily and cheaply https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Exag ... Sw2EhanrHs so is easy to replace.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The rear mech is a cheapo Tourney and needs binning

Hey, don't diss the tourney! I had one just like it on my "shopping bike", the plastic coler fell off, it was ugly, and quite rusty and it weighed about half a kilo, but once set up it worked flawlessly with no maintenance whatsoever for the next 3year; about 3,000 miles of to-ing and fro-ing around town in all weathers.

Back