Advice sought on my Sunn Xircuit - chain rubs seat stay?

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Not really an issue as such, but it is a niggle. When the chain is on the smallest gear, it rubs the inside of the seat stay. It's obviously done it for a long time with previous owners as there's quite a groove rubbed there now.

So, I get round it by not having it in the highest gear, but the teeth of the smallest cog also seem to run VERY close to the metal, without actually touching it. Will probably be single speeding this bike so issue will be resolved, I'm thinking it's probably to do with the almost Ritchey style drop outs that sort of curve inwards and are chunky to look at....?! That probably doesn't make sense.... :facepalm: :LOL:

Re:

Are the spacers on the hub axle all correct? How does the rim sit in the frame, nice and central or over towards the drive side?

If it is central now, you could take a thin spacer, it sounds as though 1 or 2mm will be enough, off the non drive side, put it on the drive side then re-dish the wheel, it should allow you to create enough space between the smallest sprocket and the seat stay.

Re:

Good point, I'll check that more closely as soon as I get chance, fairly confident it's sat centrally in the stays but there may be a bit of tweaking I could do, the wheel is 'new' to the bike as the last one had it's issues. Seems to have been no end of trouble this bike!

But then again, it's not the actual frame, more the crap components I've tried to fit :LOL: :LOL:

I had this when going from 7 to 8 to 9 on a road bike. The distance between lock nut and top sprocket is very slightly less on each generation of wheel.
Fixed by jiggling spacer on the axle, until i sold the frame.

Another similar issue is fitting larger top sprockets (so going from 11 to 13) and then the sprocket touches the end of the chainstay tube.......

Re:

That's another really good point actually, this is running a close ratio 9 speed road cassette, it may even be something like 13-24, again need to have another look at it the weekend....

Back