Magura Oil question - Citroen hydraluic

Magura royal blood has a boiling temp of 120... Just saying :)

But I'll say, although Trials riders use water, they also have masses of calipers fail after a year or 2, and they are not working at high speed!

Just use LHM.

old_coyote_pedaller":yz97r5dw said:
VaNDAL_UK":yz97r5dw said:
From what I've read it should be fine. It lubricates and prevents swelling. Thinking I may do a distilled water and PG mix and run it for a year.

60/40 water/PG

The above might seem OK until you factor in this,

Thias":yz97r5dw said:
And LHM was tested with brakes. Hot brakes. ;)
Why bother? Use LHM and thats it. I have used it for years and I am haveing no issues. At all. In the first years of Magura hydrostops they even recomended the use of LHM in their manual.

All brake fluids, whatever they are, are designed to cope with high temperatures and not to boil at those temperatures causing gases which result in brake failure.

You are proposing to use water as a brake fluid :shock: , which boils at 100C, way, way below what proper brake fluids do.
It's your choice of course but try touching your brakes after a downhill where you are braking hard, frequently. They'll be feckin hot.
Do you really want to risk the water turning to steam just when you need your brakes the most?

Rim brakes? 100c+ temps? really? REALLY???

rIm BrAkEs!

Re:

OK, you've got me there for not properly reading all the posts. The thread was about alternatives to Magura oil, not the brakes themselves.

But my post still stands just in case anyone should read this thread and fill their Magura DISC brakes with water/anti=freeze mix thinking it will be OK because "I read that it worked on some guy's Maguras", not knowing it was rim-brakes it was used in. Even I might give it a go being the cheapskate I am if I had Magura rim-brakes. A guy once told me, years ago, he put cooking oil in his Mini's brakes while on holiday in France because he was stuck after fixing a brake problem and had no brake fluid to hand.

Never used Magura rim-brakes, still have a set of Louise disc brakes somewhere, but did touch my front rim once after a downhill section back when I had V-brakes, was surprised how hot the rim was. Not 100C I grant you but it could explain the punctures I've seen with guys descending on the TDF at up to 60mph using rim-brakes.

I have use water in all of my HS33 Magura for competitive XC racing, professional trials and everyday use since 2004.

Never had brake fade!
Never had a brake fail!
Faster responding and super reactive.

We also converted 1000s and 1000s of my customers to using water with no issues what so ever.

Mineral oil I would always recommend Magura Royal Blood

You never get that kind of fade with rim brakes as there is so much more mass of rim to heat and the large rubbery brake blocks stop heat flow into the hydraulic slave cylinder.

Back