Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: I'm having itchy feet :(
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:08 am 
Retro Guru

I have 3 lovely retros at present, spanning right across the 90s;
93 Saracen Kili XTR Elite with near full M900 XTR, mint RC35s etc.
95 Litespeed Obed with 737 XT and a lot of NOS parts
99 RC200F8 with M952 XTR

Trouble is I have a new dream frame on the way - a 98 Xizang. I'm planning to nick a few groupset parts, most likely from the Obed and then will need funds to finish the build and also potentially deposit towards something I was well and truly spoiled with at the Malverns - a Cannondale Scalpel Si lefty - I know, a modern bike. I think I must be getting soft in my old age. The GT will satisfy my retro cravings and was always my dream but will I regret selling the others?
To be able to fund all this all bikes would need to be broken, as we all know financially they are worth more this way but they have all been a labour of love (barr the recently purchased Obed).

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 am 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

You will regret it forever and you grandchildren will disown you and your modern tat when it's all that is left for them to find in the dark gloomy shed, cleared out by long lost offspring who don't talk about you or your life choices in company for fear of ridicule.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Nothing wrong with moving on bikes, especially if you have no particular emotional attachment to them. Done it plenty of times and regretted very few of the sales. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm 
Retro Guru

whats the end game? If the gt is where you want to be then what does that do that others that you already have don't?
Been there a few times with: yes I've got the bike I wanted.....don't like it /don't use it and then decide to sell it on or change it. For me its never been too tough to let go.
Had it with the lobo: wanted, got, not bothered, happy to sell it on.
Had it with the hei hei: wanted, got, liked, got an offer of a better one so happily moved it on.

And yes, money comes into it. Selling one to fund another, but also selling one to make space for another. I have more bikes than I need (there, I said it) but they all do different things. If I had two 'the same' one would go. For example I have 3 hardtails one steel one alloy one ti. I can justify that and I have space so I'll keep them. I am killing my Orange to rebuild my Pace, replacing one alloy hardtail with a different one, not keeping both.

That's my focus for getting rid of one I want to keep, to make room in my shed / wallet for something else.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Its the only way really if you want to try alll your dream bikes. Everyone has took parts from one to build another, after all, the parts came from somewhere else originally.

Swap now, worry later :)

and dibs on the Saracen when you split :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:30 pm 

And on a serious note, what size are they? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:48 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks all. I can't ride them all at once and as much as I love them I can't justify so many. May keep the 2 titaniums, but then again the Saracen is purely my own build, and I've wanted a Pace since forever - Aaarggh! This is hard.

Sizing wise, they are all 18"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:50 pm 

tonybrown5 wrote:
Thanks all. I can't ride them all at once and as much as I love them I can't justify so many. May keep the 2 titaniums, but then again the Saracen is purely my own build, and I've wanted a Pace since forever - Aaarggh! This is hard.

Sizing wise, they are all 18"

I don't care what you do with them then. Canal would be the best place.

Tony Brown's bicycles sleep with the fishes.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:32 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Agree with the above. Sometimes you just dont really ‘bond’ with a bike, so its time to let it go. Retro has become so trend driven in the last few years with Social Media. Its interesting really but for me I only tend to keep the ones that are amazing to ride. Thats more important than a flash paintjob to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Once you find a frame you like its quite hard to justify a pile of bikes gathering dust.

All mine are riders but only 3 out of a possible 11 are used any great amount, I'm not quite sure why I have them now.

two road bikes get used more than anything else, one is a retromod because I like gears that work and modern parts from a few years ago are absurdly cheap. When compared to trying to find working bits from 30 years ago, it makes no sense, 10spd 105 and Ultegra are far far cheaper.

M900 XTR is too boutique now, sell it, stick a load of Deore or SLX on a favourite frame and enjoy it!

Dont see riding as a punishment, ride whats comfortable.