Quill stem shim 1-1/4" to 1"

HullBorn

Retro Guru
I have a 1" Syncros quill stem that I want to fit to a 1-1/4" fork.

Would this be too much for a shim?

Cheers

Wayne.

P.S Maybe looking to swap a 1" Syncros quill stem for a 1-1/4" :D

Re:

I don't think this will work and therefore I don't think these shims were available bitd.
Best is to find a nice 1.1/4 Syncros, Controltech or Answer A-TAC.
Good luck.

Re:

I’ve had a 1 1/4 to 1 1/8th in the past so imagine it’s possible. Might look a bit odd though.

I have a spare 1 1/8th quill Syncros if you end up needing one.

To go from 1/4 to 1" you'd need some 1 1/8" x 0.125" wall tube, giving a 7/8" (22.2mm) internal diameter.
Sadly that's very much a US spec. not easily available in the UK in small lengths...12ft+ no problem.

UK imperial tube is easy to get, but generally has crap SWG wall thicknesses that do not give useful internal bores.
Nearest you'll get in UK is 1 1/8" x 10SWG, which has a 22.0mm bore, so will need boring out by 0.2mm to fit your stem, then slitting.

Also, you'd need a lot of torque on the bolt to exert enough expanding force to flex a shim that thick and also grip the extra friction surfaces involved.

I have tube suitable to make a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" quill stem steerer shim (28.6 OD, 25.4ID) if needed, few quid + post, probably.
Most of the commercially available ones around these days are made short (30-35mm) to fit inside ahead stems, and would not be long enough to support a quill stem, where you'd need around 80mm of engagement. More like a seatpost shim length is needed.

All the best,

There you go...28.6 to 25.4mm shim in the post tomorrow :) :

All the best,

Attachments

• IMAG3275.jpg
    IMAG3275.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 303
Shim fitted and stem installed. Do you think it needs a rubber o-ring seal to stop any water getting in?

It seems a tighter fit with the correct size stem installed.

Cheers

Attachments

• stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 194
  • syncros1.jpg
    syncros1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 194
  • syncros.jpg
    syncros.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 194
Back