Best wat to remove lacquer?

HullBorn

Retro Guru
Just bought this Orange Aluminum Elite just wondering if it's worth removing the lacquer and polishing or just stripping and giving it a good clean?

If it's worth removing the lacquer what's the best method, sanding or stripper.

Cheers

Attachments

• orange4.jpg
    orange4.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 612
  • orange3.jpg
    orange3.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 613
  • orange2.jpg
    orange2.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 612
  • orange1.jpg
    orange1.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 613
Re:

The lacquer seems in quite bad shape. Sanding is a lot of work. I'm using paintstripper for this. Reckon a bit more than one can for the whole frame. They're about 15 pound each at the local car shop.

hi, ive stripped a few frames recently and found the best paint stripper can be got from ebay, try searching industrial paint stripper its about £10 a big can usually strips all in about 20 minutes then i rubbed the whole thing over with brillo/soap pads then autosol polished.

Re:

well.. i did re-lacquer my raleigh rsp with can spray lacquer but even though it came out lovely it scraped off to easily so i removed it all and re-polished,now all i do is wipe it over with gt85 every now and then. i did consider clear powder coat as this is hard wearing. or a body shop would also do it for a price.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back