AMP Research research

On the seat masts, the AMP spec dimension is normal BB centre to seat tube top, so not much help with the mast length itself.

I measured from the rear mounting bolt to the seat tube top on mine (Measurement E)...2 different dimensions from 3 smallish examples: 300mm and 287mm.

There is a distinctly longer mast around, probably 350mm ish:

AFAIK the B5 masts are the same as the B4 masts.

All the best,

Attachments

• Amp Dims.jpg
    Amp Dims.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 800
  • DSCN0962.jpg
    DSCN0962.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 800
Afternoon. So I've recently bought an Amp F&F and am (easily) confused re disc brakes as all I know and have ever had are canti's..

Can I ask the panel some stupid questions:

Hubs:
I need some of these. What hubs are a sensible midrange, ie not cheap tat nor uber high end, choice today to run discs on a mid-late 90's Amp? Modern Hope or Shimano as long as it has 6 bolts for the rotor and is of the correct colour? Would love some period correct mid 90's ones in an ideal world.

Rotors:
I need some of these. As I understand it, OEM was 160 front and 140 rear but everyone uses 160's F&R now?

Adapters for Calipers:
I need some of these. Need to work out if B3 is still around to buy from him as his adapter sale thread hasn't been updated in ages or make my own.

Calipers:
I need some of these. I see more images of Amps using Mechanical Disc brakes than hydraulic. I know the original Amp/Rockshox calipers were cable pulled hydraulic. Would love a pair of these but seem to be in the Unicorn teeth camp again and rebuild parts for them are allegedly hard to come. So a modern equivalent replacement makes sense. Mechanical appeals to me as I don't like the look of modern disk brake levers. Avid BB7's seem to be very popular. I keep seeing Shimano mechanical calipers on bikes in shops and on ebay at similar prices to BB7's. Shimano BR-M375, are these any use? Anyone tried them? Or is everyone else running Avid's?

Can anyone advise on the above?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

A huge amount will depend on the choice/availability of the RS/AMP brake callipers for you. Thee AMP system was a completely different standard to ISO 2000 tabs and more modern post-mount systems, so front and rear bolt spacing, rotor size and rotor offset etc are all different to current norms.

If you can source a set of RS/AMP callipers, then you'll need the specific RS/AMP/White Industries hubs to match, with the 3-bolt rotor mount and 160/140mm RS/AMP rotors.

-Front hubs seem to turn up reasonably regularly on eBay. I have a silver 36 hole front AMP hub available.
-There is an original AMP hub adapter knocking around which certainly fits the gunmetal grey Shimano XTR 950 rear hubs. Not sure if it would work with a front hub.
-Brake-stuff.de do make new copies of the AMP rotors: http://brake-stuff.de/produkt/41/Bremss ... kShox.html

If you go with fitting standard ISO or post mount callipers (which is probably going to be easiest), you'll need calliper mount adapters, but then you can use any standard QR 100/135mm hubs, and brakes.
I made a set of adapters, ran Hope Mono Mini Pros with 160/160mm rotors, no problem. In theory this will cause greater leverage on the rear stay than it was designed for, but I'm no monster rider, so I don't worry.
Cable operated or full hydraulic calliper makes no difference to fitting.

I haven't heard from B3 in a while, but you can find a lot of sketches and drawings for the adapters here:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=108600

All the best,

Anyone have a contact at Risse racing, I bought a shock from them, however it’s got a crack in it and won’t hold air. I’ve tried their generic email address but never get a response.

Good luck with Risse Racing. They never responded to me either. They did have a disclaimer somewhere that stated the were extremely busy and orders were being delayed from being filled. I did assume that they would reply to several email's eventually. NOPE.

This is nice to know. Haven't started my build yet and a Risse was on the top of the list of upgrades. But if they can't get the ball rolling or respond to a customers concern maybe I should look elsewhere. Speaking of which, I should get off my lazy butt and get that thing done.

Re:

Sadly any contact I've attempted with Risse has never been responded to either, even when asking about buying multiple shocks (I too have an amp variant, an STS or two and an rts I was looking to buy shocks for).

If anyone is interested, I do have a standard risse shock for an amp b3 spare if anyone is interested. Ended up with a couple and only need one for my long boxed up project.

Back