How to overhaul these '91 flat pedals?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
They came with a '91 Scott Windriver which according to catalogue should come with Wellgo LU 893 pedals, but all images in Google show a slightly different pedal (Scott is anyway known for speccing their bikes differently in each local market regardless of what the catalogue says).

I'd like to overhaul them as I plan to convert the Scott into my tourer, but I don't know how. Are they sealed pedals and kind of "forget until they break"? Thanks for the answers

Attachments

• DSC02116.JPG
    DSC02116.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC02119.JPG
    DSC02119.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 477
Look very like some cartridge pedals I had. Look near the flat, if it's a seperate bit unscrew from the
body and have a poke about inside them.

The ones I had the spindle ran directly in the aluminium of the
cartridge so not a lot to do if they are sloppy, I carried on using them till the cages got
to slick to use.

Re:

You can drill a small hole in the outside end of the pedal body, just big enough to fit the pointy end of a grease gun, and inject grease from that end, the old grease gets pushed out the axle end.
As for adjusting any play, or replacing bearings, as above there may be a separate lockout on the axle end.
Unfortunately though, they may just be low end pedals and once they're dead they're dead.

Re:

They look like almost exact copies of XT M731 Comp pedals from the same era.

It looks like you can fit a cone spanner on the end near the cranks and possibly unscrew the axle from the pedal body (probably need to clamp the pedal in a vice to do this) then you should have access to the bearings. Is that a plastic end cap at the opposite end that could be removed with the aid of a small screwdriver?
I'd try this before drilling any holes like Jim has suggested but you've always got that as a back up plan.

I'd be very surprised if they couldn't be disassembled by the looks of them.

Re:

Thanks for the answers. I agree the pedals look like the XT M731 Comp, but they lack the removable cap at the outside end, so they can't be overhauled from that side. I'll give it a try to the inside flat spanner slot and we'll see what I get.

Re:

A lot of SPD pedals have no access from the outer end of the pedal with the axle secured by a threaded collar at the crank side. Yours look like the same setup from what is visible in the pics.

Back