Long or short cage rear mech?

Re:

It's a retro bike so it's going to be 28 or 32 top, possibly a 30 if using a new cassette (and even an 11T and not a 12T).
34 where used if you retro fitted one on a 7 speed, but not common at all and the mechanism would get there as it's not that much larger.

Nowadays the mech has such a large range to move over in the same distance that they loose the flexibility ;-).

Re: Re:

Gruff":n6upssuj said:
It's a brand new 12-28 HG50 if that helps.

A short will work with that, but it will either not have the chain capacity to do big/big combo or if you set it up to do this have a dangling loop of chain in small/small combo. I think the thinking behind them is that they were all serious bike level kit and by that would be used by people that understood you shouldn't actually use those combos anyway.

Carl.

I ran XTR 24/34/46 and a 12/27 on an XTR short cage 952 rear mech for several years. Set up to cover big/big.
Could only run the 3 or 4 largest sprockets when on the small ring.

On the other hand I only actually used the small ring half a dozen times a year. I think i still have the original small ring on the bike..........

Re:

I ran the XTR m900 (actually still run it!) , while it's a medium cage so about a link longer than short, it a 24-36-48 to an 11-28T (possibly 11-30T now) cassette, 8 speed.

You just get dangle on small-smalls, nowt to worry about and you can still 'ride' in that so perfectly safe if happen to shift there.

- thought i'd mention, since others are.
You can of course switch the cages over as the other main part is the same with 735s

I also ran my orange alu-o a while back with 24-46 11T-30T iirc with 735 short cage.

Back