26"TYRES

wilson2002

Retro Newbie
looking for a nice 26" tyre for my specialized 1999 fs A1 mtb,just bought the bike as it was in vgc and I liked the look of it,can anyone tell me what tyres have a good look about them need 26" not too skinny and not too fat,only to be used on roads so slick or semi slick recommendations please,I did have schwalbe city jets on my old bike but they look a bit naff

also got a brand new pair of these to
Kenda-K1153-bike-tire-26-1-95-bicycle-tire-Off-road-mountain-bike-tyres-26-Bicycle.jpg

Re:

I use a rigid 26" wheel mountain bike for commuting on the road.

The best slick tyres I've ever used are Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick 26 x 1.5.
Basically, it's just a larger version of one of there fast 150 TPI road bike tyres.
High quality tyres that are light, fast and comfortable.
I wish they did a 700c/29er version so I could put some on my other bike.

You can buy some cheap wired slicks for a tenner each. But spending the extra on these was more than worth it to me - because I ride the bike a lot.
I don't think they make them anymore - but you can still find them for sale.

You said you thought the City Jets looked naff?
So if you think a fatter slick tyre would look better - I would recommend the Schwalbe Kojak 26 x 2.0.

If you want to keep the MTB look, I would get some good quality semi-slick tyres.
But a bit pointless if you never venture off road, because the knobblies would slow you down.

Re:

I have been using Charge Splashback in the wider size, look good and ride lovely for my commute road riding.
They're coming off and puncture protect ambercity jets in 1.95" are going on.

They're going to be smoother and the corners better than knobblies.

Really if it's looks you are after, then go look at some in the shops.
Perhaps Schwalbe road cruiser/big Ben, halo h-block/twin rail...

Re:

Schwalbe Hurricane or Schwalbe Sammy Slick, fast on road and OK off road except on wet grass or thick mud.

Latest posts

Back