Reattaching decals

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Like rim stickers and the like.

I've a pair but the labels are lifting a lot around the edge. I reckon its age rather than anything as theyre nos.
So im looking for a thin glue, that isnt going to affect the plastic of the label, easy to apply and is permanent bonding and is waterproof.

Superglue would melt the decal. Contact glue, well the ones ive used are too thick in application, and other than that ive no idea :?

I was thinking a very thin viscosity, so it would paint on easily with a cheapo artists brush, then use masking tape to pull it tight to the rim while the glue cures, then remove that tape and clean up as needed.
Only thing i can find i think might be suitable is a super strong glue designed for eyelashes and latex based. And more importantly it comes in very small, very cheap quantities Couple of quid.

Obviously someone like Gil would be the experience here, if theres no knowledge on this ill email him.

Ta all.
Im sure this is a problem others have had. I'd think there must be something out there very suitable.

In the past I've used a generic prit stick type glue. Once dry it's waterproof and you apply it thinly with a cotton bud and can squeeze it out from behind the decal to get a very thin layer. Dries clear like pva.

Re:

Spray mount has worked for me in the past. I'd also consider a bit of heli-tape over the top.

Re:

PVA is cheap and readily available , dries quickly , is clear and also easy to wipe off
To finish off ( if required ) cut some clear Fablon or similar sticky back plastic and
cover decal with a generous overlap all round .

I stuck some back pretty well with double sided tape.
I scraped the bulk of old glue off with a scalpel before cleaning the last traces of
old glue with ipa.
I stuck the sticker to double sided tape and then trimmed the tape to shape.
I stuck it in place, the raised corners all stayed down and it looked flat again.

Re:

Really depends on the material and if you can remove the whole thing or in the case of a rim decal it's a bit more involved

Ideally as already suggested, remove the decal completely, carefully remove an old glue and then mount on a good, idealy 3M double sided material and then trim to size.

A little warmth will help flatten out any lifted corners and this method will give you the best results

If it's a Foil "mavic" rim decal, these are prone to lifting, there isn;t a lot you can do, the method sbove is the most effective, but the foil material will withstand stronger glues, so this might be a quick fix if you can remove and dirt or old glue before trying to re-apply

Hope some of this helps

Aye well thanks to everybody. Certainly a few options i hadnt though of.

I should have specified, but it is the mavic foil ones. and lifting at the edges indeed they are. I worried though of it either stretching or tearing as i remove it. Was hoping they could be left in situ, and i just work on the edges.

Back