Another Kona seatpost / clamp question - '94 Explosif

Richardw

Retro Newbie
27.0 seat post is slipping in the frame and I've stripped the threads in the seat post clamp trying to tighten.

So; any chance a 27.0 is too small? Everything I've read says 27.0 should be the right size. And, what size clamp do I need to get to replace the one I've goosed?

Ta

Kona post sizes can vary. Some say a 27.2 fits fine some say no way will it :)

Personally i always try different dia posts and go with the size that fits my frame, regardless of what others use, fairly easy to see what fits and what doesnt.

And was the clamp the right size?

Mark

Generally 27.0 is right, however if you have a frame that had no trace of ovalisation from welding then a 27.2 may fit. I've had a couple of Konas over the years like that. The easy test is whether your 27.0 post has any trace of a front/back or sideways wobble when dry fitted with no clamp. If you can wobble it go up to 27.2.

Re:

I had the same problem on my '93. I cut a shim from a plastic milk bottle and placed it under the seat clamp. This gripped the seat tube tighter and won't damage the paint either. I've had no slipping since.

SP

Re:

Hello

On my 94' its 27.2 but as people said above every frame could be differents....
Got two kilauea from 94'too and one is 27 the other 27.2....
You must try both size to be sure

Cheers

Re:

Another consideration is the accuracy of the Seatpost.

Below is a picture of a 27.2mm Seatpost that measures less that 27.0mm at 26.96mm :shock: . I think it is possible that some riders say that their Kona needs a 27.2mm Seatpost, when the Post that they have fitted actually measures nearer the spec of the required 27.0mm.

As hamster says, try a dry run. If the Seatpost sips into the frame under its own weight, then go up a size.

Dscn2564 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Re:

Same as the above, had a zoom seatpost stamped up as 26.6mm that kept slipping (not in a Kona), it actually measured nearer to 26.4mm. Measure the seatpost that you're using if you can or try a different one.

Back