OnZa Mongo III headset woe

Now the weather is getting better and The Boy a bit taller, time for him to get on his Zaskar.

But, the headset is really wobbly.

It’s a modernish OnZa Mongo III 1.125” aheadset. Nice bearings and the cups fitted well into the Zaskar headtube. But, the (pretty chunky) crown race sits very loosely on the steerer (Pace RC36 with a 1.125” steerer). Way too loose to be shimmed with a Coke can.

Anyone else fitted a Mongo III?

My on,y thoughts are that the Mongo ‘crown’ race (that butts up against the cartridge roller bearings) is actually supposed to sit on a regular crown race. OTOH, the bottom of the OnZa crown race is machined at 90deg. I would have thought curved would have mated up better with a regular B.B. crown race.

Anyway, I’m stumped!

Re:

Is the steerer a constant diameter? Pace forks have a separate shim that the crown race fits onto. Without this the race will be loose on the steerer.

See this thread with pictures part way down:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284090

Ha, that could well be it. I’ll have a look at the two other sets of RC36s I have (my wife tells me I have a problem. I say you can never have enough Pace!)

So, apparently the official name is a ‘crown race collar’. Pace sell them with their steerers. Just emailed to see if they sell them separately. If not, eBay or a wanted ad here...

Re:

I possibly have one on a steerer that I won’t be using. I’ll check tomorrow evening and reply here.

Re:

I have found my pace steerer. It’s alloy, 28.6 diameter, 217mm long (total, the insertion into the crown makes the effective length shorter), and has the circlip and crown race collar.

I’ll never use it, if it’s any good to you, I’ll do it for £15 posted.

Re:

Thanks iveto. I actually got an answer back from Pace today. I emailed them asking if they had any 1.125” crown race collars. Pace replied that they only had 1”, 1 1/8” and 1 ¼”. Thank god their engineers can do maths, even if their customer services folk can’t!

Re:

Haha they must have some numpties working for them!

I’m glad you’re sorted anyway.

Re:

Right, all good now. Turns out Pace sell them via their eBay shop. Who knew they had an eBay shop!?

Ten quid lighter and it’s on its way.

Back