New to me 1996 Kona Cinder Cone - question on fork steerer

fredink

Retro Newbie
Hello!

New to retrobike and also new owner of a Kona Cinder Cone 1996. Picture :
YZYzegr.jpg

I'm the second owner of this beauty. Unfortunatly, the original owner bought it with the Project Two CMTB fork swapped for a Rock Shox Quadra 21r. I have the intention of swapping an original P2 fork back on it as I want the rigid fork and also the bike to be close to stock form.

I plan on using the bike as a commuter / bikepacking rig.

However, I've come to a problem while scouting EBay. The only Project Two forks I've found have a steerer tube length of around 140 mm. Current Rock Shox has 155 mm. The frame, according to the top tube length and the 1996 Kona catalogue would be a 18". Some sellers say 140 mm will fit the frame, some say it wont.

How I can assure the fork will fit? Does the front tube length vary that much between bike sizes (it's not even noted in the catalogue). Are there P2 fork of varying steerer tube length? The 3 I've found have the same 140-143 mm.

Thanks a bunch and happy to become a new member of the forum!

Re:

That looks like a 19” frame, so the original forks would have had a 163mm steerer. You won’t be able to use the fork from an 18” Kona, the difference in head tube length is too great.

Hi, welcome to the site, and nice bike too :cool:

Firstly the bike looks at least a 19" its not 18" though. Kona measure from centre of bb to top of the seat tube, that will give you its size ;)

Steerer tubes do vary, as the bike gets bigger the head tube gets longer, basicly if you measure from the bottom of the lower headset cup to the top of the locking nut on the top cup that will give you a fairly good idea of size of steerer needed. If you intend to replace the fork then measuring the old forks steerer is an option too :)

Mark

Re:

Hey guys, thanks!

You two have sharp eyes... I just measured the seat post tube and it is indeed a 19". The head tube length + lock nut is around 165 mm. However, the current fork's steerer length is 155 mm, so I believe this would be enough for the P2 too.

I just found one 155 mm for sale in the UK so I'd be ready to pull the trigger if the seller ships to Canada.

@Pat : where did you find the original steerer length for the frame size? I've been trying to find that without success.

If anyone reading this has a Projet Two Triple Butted fork spare with the right steerer tube length, you know where to send your messages! :LOL:

Re:

I ride 19” Konas so it’s just through experience. The headtube is 130mm long, plus the stack height of the headset. Project 2 forks that come off 19” frames also have 163 stamped into them ;)

Re:

Thanks for helping me clear that up, I'll go back on the hunt... the 155 mm seller doesn't ship to Canada.

So 163 mm it is then.

Back