Rock Shox Quadra 21R refresh

I used a Teflon grease (Bikehut brand from Halfords) when I rebuilt my Quadra 21s. Invest in a good set of extractors (sometimes called "easyouts"). They're made from extremely hard steel, are tapered and left-hand threaded. You drill a suitably sized pilot hole in the head of the offending bolt, or screw, then wind in the extractor which, being tapered will eventually get a good grip and at the point when the extractor won't go in any further, the bolt should begin to unscrew. I had to use one when I stripped my Q21s down. One of the bridge mounting allen bolts had rounded off and was impossible to get to with the old faithful molegrips.

Re:

Thanks for your grease suggestions. I did pop into my local halfords and got the ptfe grease, the guy i spoke with was extremely helpful and was familiar with my forks, who knew? I also got some wet silicone lubricant for the dust seals for periodical application.

Thanks for the help with removing the bolt, unfortunately it is the one at the bottom of the fork leg. Id need a drill bit at least 30cm long and also said tool to fit into the head. Then a bunch of luck to actually get the hole in the head of the bolt.

I went for a quick 3 mile spin, road use and relatively flat, and i am happy to use my forks - although semi rigid due to the 3d printed elastomers. Still hanging on for my parcel from america with the replacement elastomers.

Re:

Nice to see they're moving.
As for lube, I would use standard grease for bearing (nothing special) or my preferred is superslick mentioned above.

I steer clear of the white greases (finish line style), they seem to dry up quickly.

Silicone spray lube for the seals (or a wet conditions chain oil).
I use both.

95pantera":1b9upj3c said:
Glad to see im not the only one who chose to rebuild quadra's instead of buying mag 21's.

Well, I’m glad I persisted with these forks. I finally had a parcel from overseas containing 10 pieces of rubber... :LOL:

Tk7PZKU.jpg

All built up.

40sfMxK.jpg

I’d give them a test but I’ve hurt my ankle! :facepalm: :roll:

oooooh! Beautiful! Please heal up quick and post a review, I've been considering purchasing a set of these. The stock ones i have work fine, but who knows how long they will last after 20+ years.

Also, how do they differentiate which ones are soft/firm, or are they all the same?

For me it was a no brainier to buy these. For sentimental reasons I needed these forks to work again and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them as a worthy replacement. As far as I could tell every elastomer was same, there was no instructions to tell me any different. My memory of the original elastomer may be slightly iffy (being 12 years old and considerably lighter than I am now), but I do think these replacements are softer than the original. I went for medium compound (I weigh 81kg and the bike weighs 16kg) and I think I’ve got the right ones!

Re:

Hey so I meant to ask, if you can reply, I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm trying to figure out how the preload system works. I twist my top cap hand knobs when they are out of the fork, and the discs that press against the elastomers move in circles, but dont seem to move up and down. Do you know how this system works? I appreciate any insight you can give me. I wouldn't be surprised if my left and right legs were different from each other.

Back