Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Re:

That's a nice bike Mark, really unusual frame, no need for a chain stay protector on that baby! This hobby is addictive, it's true. I read once that "a bicycle can take you around the corner, or around the world. The only limitation is the imagination of the rider". I think that kind of sums up what draws us to these machines, they're tough, simple and very versatile. As far as your growing collection goes, be concerned when the divorce papers drop through your letter box, until then just enjoy mate! ;)

So the 1990 Kiliflyer turned up in the post today. It's a bit of a basket case! Defo the worst condition I've ever bought. All original part from; front wheel which is Mavic 231cd with silver instead of black XT hub, rear cantilevers which are some blue period looking jobs and the seat post (not stuck!) and saddle. All XT and the frame is dark metallic British Racing green, same as stem.

I think it's a pretty rare bike, but do I restore over time back as a Kiliflyer or build up the bike as a Traverse Comp from the same year? The traverse is my 'unicorn' bike. I do have one with a bike frame bought to be a donor bike so all parts are here. But the Kiliflyer is higher spec and prob even rarer. Love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Attachments

• KiliAsFound_small.jpg
    KiliAsFound_small.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 463
Re:

Cor, that’s had a hard life! Never knew the 90 Kili wasn’t fillet brazed but the archive backs it up. Tbh I think you could get away with making it a Traverse as the frame seems very similar except for a prestige seat tube.

Oh, and then you can sell me the black chainset for my Trekker. ;) :facepalm:

Re:

That's a nice find. Good project too. :cool:

Here's my, now finished, 94 Kili Flyer....

z0E2ONP.jpg

Hey folks - I have been searchng without luck - and ths thread is now 180 pages long, so can't go through all of t - but has anyone ordered new graphics for one of these from Gil_M or any other provider? I bought this a little while back and want to get a new set as the bike is immaculate but the decals are faded :
IMG_0752(1) by Martin Hills

Hi,

Is this an 89 or 90? I have a 90 traverse comp needing some decals from Gil soon. I was talking on messenger with a guy I connected with on here. His name is Rod walker. He had some decals done by Gil for an 89 traverse a while back. So Gil should have them on file. He must have done other saracen decals too. I've attached the ones Rod sent me for reference. Hope that helps.

Mark

Attachments

• '89 Traverse.JPG
    '89 Traverse.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 395
Thanks Mark - I’ve got Gil looking into it - but the first set he turned up were ‘90 ones - it’s an 89 bike. So I’m trying to see if I can get him a cross reference point to help the match!

Those are very similar, but I reckon they are actually not 89 either - I have the 89 catalogue in front of me and the graphics on the traverse downtube (in fact all models) look to be the same as my Tufftrax: orange highlights on the S and the A, blue on the E and no pink bits - orange and yellow mainly...

Got a 94 kili comp at the mo

vA2Sjos.jpg

it lost most of its original bits along the way but has a mix of DX and exage stuff. Just needs a back wheel that works now.

Back