Refurbishing M900 Cranks

Neilios

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I need to tidy up a set of M900 cranks. They're not badly damaged, just scuffed from use in good old North Yorkshire grinding paste. The decals are long gone on the drive side and pretty pumped on the non-drive side.

Has anyone had much success with this? I guess I need to polish all the scuffs out, but are replacement decals available from anywhere, and what is the factory finish - lacquer or ano etc?

Cheers,

Neilios

It's a fairly intense process actually. Arms are clear anodized, so you'd need to remove that first. Then sand/buff out the pits or scuffs, then polish, then new decals, then polish again, and then re-anodize.

Re: Re:

DY85262":jush0v36 said:
So you anodize after decals have been applied :?:

Let me clarify - OG M900 cranks don't have decals. They were either ink stamped or decal transfer. I'm not sure. And the final coat would be a clearcoat to give it that blueish grey finish.

Re: Re:

ridevintagemtb":1k3q8n4o said:
DY85262":1k3q8n4o said:
So you anodize after decals have been applied :?:

Let me clarify - OG M900 cranks don't have decals. They were either ink stamped or decal transfer. I'm not sure. And the final coat would be a clearcoat to give it that blueish grey finish.

Wouldn't they have printed after anodising and then seal them?

I actually think these cranks are lacquered. It doesn't look or feel like anodising to me - where it's scuffed, I can feel a step... They could of course be polished, anodised THEN lacquered.

I can't feel the decal, so they're very very thin.

Can't really afford NOS cranks, so these are going to have to be refurbed somehow.

Here's a couple of pics I took, I was trying to capture the thickness of the coating.

P1030715

P1030714

P1030719

Back