Making shit work, solutions to problems.

pingu_turbo

Dirt Disciple
My wife recently got hold of a hybrid bike, more because we both wanted to get back out doing what we both enjoy. I had forgotten how dirty one gets when out on a slightly damp trail, so I opted to fit a pair of budget crud catchers to both my old Merlin and this heavy beast of a Halfords special.

Not really thinking about the logistics of how things were going to fit, I bought two sets and duely fitted a set to my bike and tried to fit them to my wife’s bike, not realising that the lower crossbar had the rear brake and front derailiure cables running along the underside. Really? What a stupid place to put them. Anyway, a solution was in my mind.

Image showing an upturned bike, front wheel to the left and cables running on the underside.

vSba0id.jpg

Enter the 3d printer, I designed and made these two brackets to fit snugly on the underside of the frame and match the curvature of both items for a pretty decent fit.

Wa2zrfV.jpg

Screwed to the crud catcher.

vZvRSzY.jpg

The new mounting bracket cable tied to the lower bar whist straddling the two troublesome cables.

LXDsAG8.jpg

Overall view. Solution created.

gOHQ2OD.jpg

Re:

Nice work, always satisfying to solve a problem. You have created another though, you've doubled the value of the Halfords special as it is now 'custom' ;)

Haha, to be fair the mudguards were half the cost of the bike so you may be right. Now the task of getting my head around modern iso/metric/imperial/American sized tyres. This bike has 700c tyres on it, why can’t they just make things simple like they were before? Agh!

Erm, 700c/622 tyres have been "standard" since forever (70s?)........ probably the widest availability of compatible tyres of any rim size on the market.....

mattr":1ucs67g3 said:
Erm, 700c/622 tyres have been "standard" since forever (70s?)........ probably the widest availability of compatible tyres of any rim size on the market.....

I’ve never seen them on a mountain bike, hence my mini moan. I guess my wife’s bike is a hybrid so has on road tyres. I have never even sat on a on road bike. :oops:

Re:

I remember they day when hybrid bikes (in the 90s) were the bsos of their day. Now 29er is king. Times a change but the retro flag still flies.

pingu_turbo":1mhx86d0 said:
I’ve never seen them on a mountain bike,
You haven't looked at a new bike for 10 + years ;)

(Think Geoff Apps was using them in the early 80s as well......)

Re:

Don't mention Geoff Apps or you will wake up GJW ! .....................

and your thinking of 650B rims with Hakkapeliitta tyres

Back