Shimano Uniglide & Hyperglide

16vGTI

Retro Guru
Can anyone tell me how they differ? I know that the sprockets are a different fitment but what else and why did they change from UG to HG what's the advantage?
Cheers.

HG had more exotic tooth profiling for faster shifting. The disadvantage is that the teeth got shorter and so lasted less well.

When Shimano moved to 7-speed cassettes/freewheels both UG and HG were available.You needed a cassette body wich had threding also on the outer part the body,beacause the UG-cassettes were using the smallest sprocket for a lockring.HG cassettes had a seperate lockring.The reason for this change was better shifting properties.

Ah ok thanks! So I don't need a specific chain and crankset then ? HG chain will work with UG sprockets & vice versa etc?

I assume you have 7-speed ? At least 7-8 speed hg chains work. Shimano hg40 chain is for 6-8 speed drivetrains.You can use any other brand 6-8 speed chain.

About cranksets,any 6-8 speed specced crankset shoud work.With 9-10 speed cranksets you would probaply run into problems,because the chainrings are narrower.

Back