1990 Kona Explosif - restoring the love of my biking life

mkone":1rnrg2mw said:
Bullpup":1rnrg2mw said:
Very nice!

When you get a chance could you please give me the length, OD and ID of the rear brake guide / tube? I need to replace mine as it was butchered.

Many thanks

On my original it got so knackered from riding in all weathers we had to cut out an outer section of it to reduce friction - tricky job pre-dremmel! Ended up with it one sided plus a cable stop one end and a guide hole at the other, but only one sided in the middle - we ran a bit of Teflon inner through it and it improved the brakes significantly!

Will try to measure tomorrow :)

SO, I now have nearly all of teh bits need for the rebuild - I will start updating and posting as I go!

I am just waiting for some pedals to arrive from Indianapolis, and new graphcs from Gil at Retrodecals and I will get going...I have a BIG box of NOS parts, my velocity stem has been to the paint shop and refinished, and wheel jig is waiting for action.

My frst task is to remve the old decals - they have been on there for 28 years, so I expect a struggle.

Does anyone have any tips for easy removal?

Re:

the easiest way to remove the old decals is to use a hair dryer. keep it at a nice even heat then once you get the decal moving from one corner peel it back over itself keeping close to the frame. you may need to add a little more heat if the decals are large.

once they are all off you may have some residue from the old glue, this is easily cleaned off with lighter fuel on a cotton wool pad. :)

This was my original thought, but I guess my concern is that after all these years that they aren’t going to play so easy! Would a heat gun damage the paint, or would it soften graphics better than a hairdryer?

Singletrack74":j7177z55 said:
SO, I now have nearly all of teh bits need for the rebuild - I will start updating and posting as I go!

I am just waiting for some pedals to arrive from Indianapolis, and new graphcs from Gil at Retrodecals and I will get going...I have a BIG box of NOS parts, my velocity stem has been to the paint shop and refinished, and wheel jig is waiting for action.

My frst task is to remve the old decals - they have been on there for 28 years, so I expect a struggle.

Does anyone have any tips for easy removal?

Best splatter thread :) viewtopic.php?f=6&t=326715

And Chris is really helpful too :)

Mark

Re:

Might be worth trying a bit of waxoyl over the scratches, Any exposed metal turns black and should blend in okay with the splatter

I would not use heat gun, yes it's possible but also a greater chance of damage to the painted surface. Be patient with the hairdryer and start one end, heating as you go. There will be enough heat. White spirit to clean excess glue away.

Back