Pace seat post - Is a shim a really bad idea?

OldRacer

Devout Dirtbag
My bike, an F4 has a USE seat post with a shim. The bike is pretty much NOS so hasn't been ridden with this.

However, I'm going to use the bike this year and wonder if using a Thompson 29.4 post, the right size, is preferable all be it the post is later and black.

Has anyone got a 29.4 post of the correct year/type that would have been fitted to my bike?

Cheers

Attachments

• Pace seat tube.JPG
    Pace seat tube.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 439
Are you sure its an f6 as the pic shows a cantis cable guide, f6 didnt.

Anyways, the later paces was offered with a 27.2 shim, ive got one and had no issues thus far.Although i do prefer a correct size post .......just in case, as they are old bikes now haha

for reference though......

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/1 ... Manual.pdf

and

Attachments

• rc200f8.JPG
    rc200f8.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 432
i recently got a 29.4 layback post from rutland for 4.99!!!!! not bling but at that price well worth it, luckily most my pace bikes are large frames so not alot of post sitting out the frame

longun":3e8o7nu5 said:
i recently got a 29.4 layback post from rutland for 4.99!!!!! not bling but at that price well worth it, luckily most my pace bikes are large frames so not alot of post sitting out the frame

Ive got the Thompson to go in and like you my bike is a large frame so not a lot of post will be sticking out. I just wanted something in keeping with the year of bike, and in all honesty, the Thompson is pretty retro looking anyway - I'm just being picky.

Im assuming the more post sticking out the more stress on the frame.

When I was racing I used to run a smaller frame with a lot of seat post sticking out, for some reason, in my eyes it looks bloody stupid now!

Back