Marin MTB - a question aboutt the steering

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi guys,
As some of you know I recently bought a Marin MTB.
Not sure what model it is. A sticker on the frame says "afterburner", but I don't know if it's the model or something that a previous owner - a fighter jet enthusiast? - put there.

Anyway, I bought the bike without trying it because I had just had surgery done and couldn't really afford to sit on a saddle :D
The bike looked very good and the price was very tempting (I know, a recipe for disaster).

Yesterday I tried it for the first time and it's super nervous. In motorcycle terms it feels like if the rake was very steep - not a problem per se, I was just surprised.
It feels "weird" in the steering and in fact once I arrived home after the first trip I noticed the steering doesn't rotate freely but it has two lock positions, one either side of the neutral one.
At first I though it might just be the steering that was ruined but it looks like i's by design.
Lifting the bike off the ground and trying to rotate the steering it feels like it needs to softly cliks out of the straight position and then it clicks again with an angle of about 30 degrees, either side.
Is this a thing?
The fact that does it both sides and with such precision makes it really feel like it's by design but...why?

Re:

Afterburner is a marin thing and is intentional. It it a rear tube design thing from 92-ish. something about stiffer tubes and suchlike. doesn't add up to much though.

the headset is knackered. the crusty bearings have flattened into the average positions, new headset would be advised.

get some pics up. i wanna look!

Re: Re:

marc two tone":2ikredmh said:
the headset is knackered. the crusty bearings have flattened into the average positions, new headset would be advised.

get some pics up. i wanna look!

I thought so.
As soon as I finish to study (which might not be soon if I keen on writing about bikes instead of hitting the books :D ) I go and give a look to the headset.

I will also take some pictures ;)

Re:

I really don't know...
I don't see how it could but that doesn't mean anything.
I have to say I am a bit puzzled. The bearings look alright.
But when I put together, as I tighten the headset notchyness appears... :facepalm:

Re:

I'm now thinking that the actual crown might be damaged.
Maybe the caged bearings dug into the crown and now there are actual notches.
I didn't check that. Will do tomorrow.

Back