Simple First Project that won't break the bank

Re: Re:

MR OX":2aois2lr said:
I had an Apex built the year or two years after this one but basically the same they are superb!

I've got an Ascent, rescued from the scrap yard, built with some fairly decent kit and it just rides so nicely. Even the lower end such as the Topanga are decent frames, with a few upgrades they punch well above their weight.

si_macc":2g6pmrtg said:
Do like the titanium raleigh but wouldn't want to do anything too that and looking forward to getting stuck into a project

How much of a project do you want? If it were me, and if it's not too small, I think I would just get kingbling's nice-looking Diamond Back, enjoy riding it and keep the project element to cleaning, lubing, polishing, new cables, etc. - perhaps swapping a few parts for comfort too. http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=381457

Paint stripping and respraying? Yuck! It sounds like a good idea but when you get down to it, it's smelly, messy, surprisingly time-consuming and, frankly, I found, extremely boring. And, of course, you can't get out and ride your new bike while you're doing it. Never again! Each to their own though - go for it if that's what you want to do.

Back