Can you run a Suntour MicroDrive Front Mech on a non-MD bike

Singletrack74

Devout Dirtbag
Been reading around and I’m trying to work out whether the above will work. NOS mechs have a sticker saying MD ONLY on them, but old catalogues from 92 show only one mech variant for both MD and NON MD?

Anyone know for sure?

Chainset is 24/36/46; so 22T difference, and I believe the MD will handle 24...so why the sticker?

Need to suss this quickly as I’ve spotted one and don’t want to miss out!

Depends on the arc on the bottom edge of the mech cage.

But, as above, unless it's wildly different, it should be fine.

Re:

The arc of the cage is the same as far as I can see from holding my spare MD one over the mounted non- MD. The cage is ever so slightly narrower in profile and about 1 tooth shorter. However there is a fine print on the yellow sticker: "Max chainring less than 48T".

Dr

Attachments

• MD_compare.JPG
    MD_compare.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 397
  • MD.jpg
    MD.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 397
Re: Re:

Dr Dremel":2asfm642 said:
The arc of the cage is the same as far as I can see from holding my spare MD one over the mounted non- MD. The cage is ever so slightly narrower in profile and about 1 tooth shorter. However there is a fine print on the yellow sticker: "Max chainring less than 48T".

Dr

Thanks so much - super helpful. Looks like it should clear the inner ring, which is where I imagine the issue lies if running at the higher end of the cassette too!

Don’t suppose that’s a 28.6 that you fancy selling, is it?!

Re:

No problem, had the same question a while back. Sounds as if you´ll be safe with a 46T ring, if indeed it does work with a 24T.

Unfortunately the spare one is not for sale (it´s 31,8 anyway).

There is an extra push bulge in the back plate iirc too, but for normal 24/36/48 setup it should* be fine. (it was designed around 20/32/42)

*should, but 26 granny may be better to keep the 22 max-min of the MD setup, just thinking about hitting the bottom of the guide ?

Back