GT Zaskar fork

Don't think that yellow bike is original, as above 1996 was only available in ball burnished or anodized.

If this one has been painted it's obviously got aftermarket decals (which all say LE !) so it might have started as standard Zaskar. The frames were same for LE/non LE back in 96 it was just components which were different (XTR/XT).

I checked and 96 came with either cromo rigid (presumably Bologna Lite) fork or Judy XC in yellow.

Good luck.

No, that yellow was some original paint, dont know the story behind it, not like a special edition anything, maybe some limited market or something, they all seem to be in the UK

Re:

I'm beginning to suspect that either the UK distributor, or one of the retailers had some old stock frames that they refinished to look like the newer models and created a 'special edition' of some kind.

That is never a factory finish the way it is flaking like that. It doesn't look like any surface preparation was done prior to painting/coating. Can't believe that came out of GT's USA factory.

This was last year of gusset under top tube so it's entirely possible they were left with some 'old school' 91-96 style frames and suddenly everyone wanted the gusset under down tube new style so the had them painted.

Re:

Attachments

• 7F3EF904-A8F2-40BC-8437-B33B2DF29868.jpeg
    7F3EF904-A8F2-40BC-8437-B33B2DF29868.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 363
Does it have snowflake pattern spokes in the front wheel? What groupset does it have? A few things aren't quite adding up yet.

The original owner seems to have upgraded everything over the years, it did have a XT front mech & bottom bracket.
Not sure how to proceed with my build? But i’m Going to polish the frame first

Do you have current pictures of it? I agree that stripping and polishing is a good idea. For that time period it would look good with WTB tires and seat. Kore stem and seatpost and either XT or XTR groupset. Do you plan to use a suspension fork? I'm just curious about all of this. I'm sure you will build something cool with it.

Back