Marin identification help please

eldridge

Old School Hero
Just acquired this early Marin frameset, I know my Marins pretty well but this one's got me stumped!

I've gone through the Archive but cannot see this one, I do know it's got to be early im guessing 89-92 as I know the 93's onwards,

Also weirdly the rear dropouts don't take a 135mm hub it's nearer 122mm - unless it's had a singlespeed wheel in there or something prior but doesn't look like it. Did wonder if it's a hybrid model but that would still be a 135 dropout, and I've put a 26" wheel in the fork and that lines up with the brake fine.

Any help appreciated! Oh and it's heavy - really heavy to say it's a Tange, way heavier than my '95 Marins. My first thought was a Bolinas maybe??

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

Re:

Yes, 1992 bolinas ridge.

same colour scheme as the team, ironically! with odd seatpost size 26.5, or something daft.

rear dropout is a cheap horizontal effort, nip up the skewer tight.

these are good bikes though, lose weight with a crank upgrade and, it's as good as anything else upto pine mountain level. Around £299 new (chevin cycles c. 1992).

Re:

Ace thanks fellas

The Bolinas in the 92 catalogue is black and white? Maybe there were colour options?

Now, wish me luck - seatpost is truly seized :'(

Half the weight is that ghastly chainset. I use one as an anchor.
See the Sheldon Brown page on spreading frames. Somebody has done something daft to yours but it will spread back easily enough. You need a piece of 3x2 timber about six feet long plus some patience. It's not difficult.

Seatpost is 26.2 IIRC. Remove the bottom bracket and squirt in a load of PlusGas; leave overnight and it will probably come out.

Attachments

• 002 - Copy.JPG
    002 - Copy.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 355
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yep thats the one - same decal on the seat tube and def same colour scheme!

Marc two tone - thanks for that yes im only in Ponte so will do my best and let you know

Hamster - cheers for sheldon brown tip sounds interesting!

I think it might have an oversize post forced into it - there's a slight bulge in the seat tube, luckily doesn't seem to be in more than 4-5 inches, though someone has had a go already - stilson and vice marks on the post!
Yes i def won't cut anything - the last time i tried that on an Atx and then tried cutting down the remainder vertically - hours of work and got nowhere!

Back