Hub play help!

Rio

Retrobike Rider
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

need some help! There is a little play on my rear wheel. I've had this before and was able to adjust something to the rear hub and fixed it. It was a while ago, and I cannot remember how I did thsi :facepalm:

Any ideas on what to do? I tried unscrewing the little hex bolt on the non drive side, but wasn't able to move the part that it holds. Maybe use a bit more force? Here are pictures of the hub:

BTW, the hub was NOS when I got it and I didn't do enough miles on it to have worn bearings .

26564003638_99d5a00c03_c.jpg

40391355722_46be58f5b3_c.jpg

Rio":vay1ycvo said:
BTW, the hub was NOS when I got it and I didn't do enough miles on it to have worn bearings .

Never say never ;)

Your description is somewhat unprecise. Where is that play exactly. And in which direction? Axial? Vertical? The axle? The freewheel? ...

Re:

You're right mate, could be the bearings. It's just that there was no play, and now suddenly a lot of play. And I had this before and was able to fix it. So I'm assuming slash hoping it's not the bearings ;-)

The play is in the axle.

I didn't say it's the bearings. I just say it is possible still.

So the play is in the axle. Sideways?

It would be important to know the type of bearings used. Shimano-like cup and cone (those would be adjustable) or pressfit standard bearings (Non adjustable but cheap to swap out for new)?

Maybe you loosen that grub screw and try to slip off (Or screw off) that end cap? But please! Don't use those rough pliers again...

Re:

I understood mate, that's why I said 'could be the bearings' ;-)

I can move the rim from drive side to non drive side.

(See edit above...)

Rio":360kaz4h said:
I understood mate, that's why I said 'could be the bearings' ;-)

I can move the rim from drive side to non drive side.

But is the wheel tilting or sliding on the axle? That is _the_ important difference.

When it's tilting, its 90% the bearings. It narrows down to the type of bearing.

Do you know the maker/type of that hub?

Latest posts

Back