Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Re:

I've just bought this for the wheels, haven't a clue what it is other than a Saracen, probably a Kili. Pick up on Sunday...... :facepalm:

Attachments

• saracen.jpg
    saracen.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 474
Acquired what appears to be a '96 Protrax. The colour and all the components are as per Catalogue. EXCEPT forks (would assume a simple upgrade/swop from same year Kili were it not for the colour which appears perfect match to the frame and not a Kili colour as far as I can find) and rear triangle (no upper rack eyes as per Protrax and different drop outs, TR cowled as per Kili).

Just another case of Saracen using up whatever they had on the shelf? A Kili frameset with a groupset (STX-RC) intended for a Protrax? Or have I dated it wrongly?

Whatever, cheap enough. Frame structurally fine, just some top coat loss especially to top tube and drive side chain stay. It'll just get a basic clean and service, cables, etc.

Photos to follow (probably!).

8n5FO

uiv91BC

Re:

Nice frame Dave:) Some of the Ltd Editions I've seen had a mixed bag of frame and forks combos, I guessed it was to clear what parts they had. Not seen it on main production bikes but I'm far from an expert, there's better minds on here for that. Love the look of those forks though!

Re:

I just got hold of these two 1990 Eigers, one the 'standard' blue one and one the 'Team'. Both need work though the blue one is better, with nearly new Farmer Johns Nephews on it. I don't need them or really have space for them, but just couldn't pass them by. You all know the feeling, right?! If anyone is after a project just let me know. Or I might strip them or cobble them together somehow. Thought I'd share them here before they find that fate. Both are 19", If only the black one was 17"!!

Attachments

• IMG_6158.jpg
    IMG_6158.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_6159.jpg
    IMG_6159.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 386
Re:

Saw those two and they were a bargain. Strange that they wear the same 1990 decals when the blue one is clearly a Tufftrax (stickered for sale in Halfords) and has the period correct stem where as the other uses a frame design that I didn't think appeared until 1991 with the stem to match but 90 decals. :?

Hi Brocklanders,

You don't want one or both then do you?! I kind of bid without thinking and didn't think I'd get them! I think the Black one does have the right frame. It has the same frame as the (TOO BIG) 1990 traverse I have. It's just a different and slightly better frame from the Tufftrax/Eiger (more Tange I think?)

The Blue one needs a black 26.4 seat post and a saddle if anyone has one. The Black one has a 29.4 seat tube. Both frames have a bit of surface rust. I might have to strip them or use the blue one as a run about. Either way the black bike as a whole or frameset has to go at least.

oldave":27m4ewsh said:
Acquired what appears to be a '96 Protrax. The colour and all the components are as per Catalogue. EXCEPT forks (would assume a simple upgrade/swop from same year Kili were it not for the colour which appears perfect match to the frame and not a Kili colour as far as I can find) and rear triangle (no upper rack eyes as per Protrax and different drop outs, TR cowled as per Kili).

Just another case of Saracen using up whatever they had on the shelf? A Kili frameset with a groupset (STX-RC) intended for a Protrax? Or have I dated it wrongly?

Whatever, cheap enough. Frame structurally fine, just some top coat loss especially to top tube and drive side chain stay. It'll just get a basic clean and service, cables, etc.

Photos to follow (probably!).

8n5FO

uiv91BC

Have a look at this... viewtopic.php?f=78&t=380126 Looks like a keeper ;)

Back