Rockshox Judy XLC internals

jetstream

Dirt Disciple
I've got a pair of Judy XLC's on my GT LTS which are the spring and cartridge variety (type 3?). They're long since past their best before date and I was wondering if I can rejuvenate them by installing the internals from a 1999-2002 era Hydracoil service kit. Does anyone know if this is feasible or is it a no-no? I'm not sure if the old variety will seal the oil properly or if there is a structural difference in the legs. I know I'd probably be better off spending the money on a different set of forks but I kind of like the look of the triple clamp XLCs ...

Do you mean Judy XC ?

If that is so, My wiki article may be of interrest for you:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Special ... conversion

The FSX is basically a Judy XC. Depending on the age of the XC, the bottom hole is bigger. The younger XCs don't need that thread decution.

Edit: OH, XLC is that doublebridged version of the XC? Maybe you could take some pictures of the insides? I have not yet seen those. But maybe someone will recognize the important bits.
My best guess would be, that they are basically the same as the XCs. But with some extensions...

Re:

Thanks for the article Thias that maybe what I'm after. I don't have the forks available at the moment to take photos but attached are the exploded diagrams from the manuals. The insides of the XLC forks look similar to XC's with the addition of a spacer rod, but I think the springs might be different as they're 'long travel' (don't know what that actually means).

There's an obvious difference in hardware from 98 to 99 but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable

Attachments

• 1998 judy xlc.jpg
    1998 judy xlc.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 987
  • judy99.jpg
    judy99.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 985
Take what I say with a grain of salt.
But to me it seems, the '99 parts should fit your XLC. You would have to take the lower bolts and the dampening assemblys (Parts 8+9+10 + 18 to 25 in the upper picture) from any '99 XC. Keep your springs. And add a seal (o-ring) to the lower bolt inside the casting, as I described it in the wiki. (If there isn't one already.

Re:

Doing some research now based on your wiki - it's really helpful, thanks. I also loved your FSR rebuild tale :)

Looking at the pictures in your wiki in more detail, I think I may have found a flaw in my plan. Picture 4 seems to show that the hydracoil stanchion is different to the old model with the circlip (which my forks have). I don't think I can use the stanchions of a donor fork as my XLC's have a longer length stanchion due to the triple clamp arrangement. I'm assuming from your wiki description that the black plastic thing that goes in the stanchion end would not fit properly in the old style tubing?

That shouldn't be a problem. The new hydracoil dampening assemblys fit through the circlip type endstop plastics just fine. You can see it in the following picture.

Hydracoil dampener in old circlip type black plastic bushing/endstop.
FSX_Hydracoil_small-008.jpg

Re:

Okay, I'll have to disassembly my forks and see how they compare to your pictures. It looks like there may be hope yet :)

thanks for your help

Re:

Okay, I'll have to disassembly my forks and see how they compare to your pictures. It looks like there may be hope yet :)

thanks for your help
Im in the same boat as you. I've just acquired a Kona Chute with an XLC thay us in need of a service. How did you go with the XC internal swap?

Yes i kniw I'reviving a very old thread here, but here's to hoping you're still active mate! 🤞

Back