Middleburn RS3 spacers

tonedeaf101

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Do RS3's need middle ring spacers? Try as I might I can't get mine to shift properly on my Xizang. I'm running XTR M952 mech & shifters, Middleburn rings and a 113mm BB. All parts and cables are NOS so no wear and everything sliding nicely. It wont drop down to bottom ring and takes more than one push to get it to middle. Never had an issue before setting up gears so scratching my head a little as to what is going on and just wondering if middle ring is closer to bottom it would work no problem.

Cheers in advance.

Re:

Are the rings all from the same period? I've had a few that were clearly thicker than others when compared.

What ring size/tooth count? M952 was 110bcd, just wondering if your rings are something smaller?

Re:

No spacers are fitted at all currently.
It’s 94/58 setup. All rings were bought new just before middleburn got bought out.

Re:

It might just be that the m952 front mech isn't playing nicely with the smaller BCD rings? That said I'm pretty sure I've run m952 with the same BCD rings you are using. What I did find is that set up us much less forgiving, and you need the front mech cage 2mm from the teeth on the outer ring when it would be running the chain on it.

I also recall requiring to angle the mech slightly so that the ramp on the cage aligned better. Could be wrong on that, just seem to remember.

A trick to save you having to constantly click through the gears is to simply pull the mech cable between the cable stops. Allows you to try the gearing without the shifter involved do you can quickly see it working without moving back and forth from bars to crank.

I was running the same type of 94/58 rings on a Syncros crank with an M950 mech no probs.
I'll take another look at it, sounds liek its just fussy as hell.

Cheers guys.
Phil

Back