Refinishing a titanium frame

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a couple of frames that I'd like to lavish some care on. Both are sound but have picked up the odd scratch here and there, and a few areas where the finish has been gently polished shinier than the rest of the frame through I can only suspect my shorts rubbing the frame when riding.

The original finish on both is matt, which I'd like to end up with again.

I'd like some advice on how to prep.and finish the job. For example, a few scuffs are shiny, so would I be better to give the whole frame a light sanding to get it to a uniform finish before hitting it with scotchbrite to create the Matt? Or do I just start with scotchbrite and work the areas that are shiny more than the rest?

Speaking of scotchbrite, am I wrong in thinking that it is just the stuff I use to clean pans?

ishaw":3165llxn said:
I have a couple of frames that I'd like to lavish some care on. Both are sound but have picked up the odd scratch here and there, and a few areas where the finish has been gently polished shinier than the rest of the frame through I can only suspect my shorts rubbing the frame when riding.

The original finish on both is matt, which I'd like to end up with again.

I'd like some advice on how to prep.and finish the job. For example, a few scuffs are shiny, so would I be better to give the whole frame a light sanding to get it to a uniform finish before hitting it with scotchbrite to create the Matt? Or do I just start with scotchbrite and work the areas that are shiny more than the rest?

Speaking of scotchbrite, am I wrong in thinking that it is just the stuff I use to clean pans?

Ian, is the finish you want a plain matt finish like a 'bead-blasted' one or a 'brushed' finish?

I have done 'brushed' myself using a variety of basically abrasive 'pads', such as....

'Scotch' pads - available in different grades and you can get them to go in a drill which is a very good idea!
Garryflex blocks - again different grades available
and red-oxide paper

I'd suggest to remove scratches you'll probably need to use the red-oxide paper, maybe a 120 grit and put on a rubber block.

BUT, always start with the least aggressive 'pad/media' you have, try it, see what affect it has then adjust/use another as required.

To get an even finish you'll probably want to do the whole frame.

Work perpendicular to the frames tubes.

If you want a non-brushed finish, I've found vapour blasting to be good, but not DIY!

Any questions, please ask. There should be pics in some of my ti framed builds, links in sig. Photos work if you use the Chrome 'patch'!...if not, I can always route through my folders and email.

1993 Axis TT...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=273729

1995 Axis TT...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=128558&start=10

Cheers :)

Re:

Darn photbucket.

I remember reading your threads and one of the frames in question is a tt. I'm not sure of the technical term for the finish but not shiny, and not blasted so I guess that leaves brushed. The original tt finish is what I'm after really.

I'd like to do it myself, as I reckon I'll feel the satisfaction of doing it. Wish I'd done it before adding decals though, may need to source some more.

Re: Re:

ishaw":2inaj9p3 said:
Darn photbucket.

I remember reading your threads and one of the frames in question is a tt. I'm not sure of the technical term for the finish but not shiny, and not blasted so I guess that leaves brushed. The original tt finish is what I'm after really.

I'd like to do it myself, as I reckon I'll feel the satisfaction of doing it. Wish I'd done it before adding decals though, may need to source some more.

The ones I've done myself give a brushed finish, but, iirc the original finish would have been more plain and therefore probably more of a blasted type finish - I had my last TT (16") vapour blasted. pm me your email and I'll try and send you some pics :)

I may even have spare decals - I'll have to check though.

Latest posts

Back