GT Zaskar fork

Dickie66

Dirt Disciple
I’ve bought a 1996 GT Zaskar off the original owner, it came with rigid forks when he bought it & I would like to return it to std. Are all the gt forks the same with 1 1/8” steerer or do I need a zaskar fork?
Also can I strip the paint and polish the frame?

Thanks

Re:

The 1996 Zaskar frame shouldn't be painted, it should either be ball burnished (Polished alloy) or anodised dark blue or red.

You should be able to remove the paint, if it's been painted, and then polish the frame up easily enough with a bit of time and elbow grease.

Not sure the 1996 Zaskar came with a rigid fork option, it would probably have been a Judy XC for the Zaskar or a Judy SL for the LE. If you do go for a rigid fork, then you want a GT Bologna Lite.

Re:

I collect the bike on friday, the owner has some photos from when it was new - maybe it was a frame built up by a shop? the frame looks very original with 'zaskar LE' on it, but paint is flaking off in some areas, I can get it chemically dipped for £35 to get to bare metal.

Re:

Get some photos posted up once you've collected it.

1996 Zaskars weren't painted, so it's either a non-original finish or later than 96.

I'll post some photos when i get it, frame number starts with 0396 & I think the owner still has the receipt & some photos from when he first had it.
6061 stamped on the RH drop out inner, flat end cap on frame

Re:

Those details certainly sound like a Zaskar. Possibly painted prior to the previous owner buying it? As I said; the 96 frames were available in ball burnished, or blue or red anodised.

What colour is it curently?

The fork should be a yellow Judy sl if it's original and it should have an XTR groupset if it's a Zaskar LE. If it was painted it was stripped down at some point and god only knows what was changed when rebuilt. Pictures would be very helpful to sort it all out.

I'm sure I've seen (in pictures) 96 Zaskars that were painted, that yellow colour. With black and white 96 style decals.

Back