Cleaning up drivetrain bits- what techniques and substances?

I literally have a bucket of diesel in the shed. Bits get thrown in for half an hour then washed up in it with a washing up brush and a toothbrush. Was doing some yesterday!

Re:

Citrus degreaser for me. Diluted or neat depending on the job. Add to bucket (add water to dilute as needed), soak for as long as you like, then remove and use a brush of the tooth cleaning kind to get into the nooks and crannies.

Rinse with soapy water (car cleaning stuff is good enough) to get rid of the last of the dirt, then a hot water rinse and dry thoroughly.

Repeat stage 1 for stubborn, caked on dirt if needed.

Re:

Interesting stuff, thanks for the ideas all.

Might have to some other substances recommended here. Petrol ought to be good for shifting the really stubborn crud. I was also going to try some oxyalic acid mix to shift some light rust off bolts etc.

I've also noticed white spirits also eats away washing up gloves. Yep, I don't like getting my office hands dirty. Aldi brand washing up gloves are also a lovely pink in the biggest size :LOL:

fattiman":2y2hgmz8 said:
I use bicarbonate of soda mixed with white vinegar and fairy liquid, this combination works really well for me. Just leave to soak overnight and the dirt should have settled at the bottom of the container by the morning. Sometimes requires a little encouragement with a nail brush.

Baking powder removes anodising!

Back