What is high end for you?

ultrazenith":5vbj22j7 said:
To be top end, you need to be able to ride it like you don't care if i breaks, because you know whatever happens, you can get it repaired and repainted. If you thnk there's a good chance that what you ride might break under normal riding, then I'd argue it's not really top end.

Bang on ! Never worried about a bike breaking bitd. My FAT was slammed hard into the flat ground from a 6-10ft high drop off at least 20 times a week for years around the heath, with no ill effects. Still straight as a die now.

Re:

I thought Klein's were high end until I owned one. Lovely to look at, but a severe ride.

Since then it's what I couldn't afford when I was young. Had an rts-2 bitd, that was pretty high end in 93, but always wanted better, and now own a team RTS that won't ever leave the stable.

Other than that, for me it is stuff that tops the charts in manufacturers ranges, but actually works/lasts. I'd exclude m900 from that as I thought the shifting was poooooooo, despite the good looks.

Also, what's the point in owning something boutique if you are scared it will break/crack if you look at it wrong? It may have cost a lot, but......

Having had many a boutique part in my possession, I'd rather hit the trails with trusty m952 than pro shift or Paul's. Yes, they may look lovely, but bang for buck? Performance? Longevity?

I'm a sucker for ti and carbon, though none of the cheap far east nock offs.

Re:

Quick aside. A bike can be too stiff. I sold my Klein and Serotta T Max because they were just too harsh to ride all day. There was an interesting article on Pinkbike recently where they mentioned a bit of frame flexibility can make you ride faster, as well as in greater comfort. Its always fascinated me how certain bikes have this mystical quality.

Like most, probably a manufactures top of the range, but for me it needs to be something well made, with thought, not just in function but form too.

Back