1990 Kona Explosif - restoring the love of my biking life

:cool: always good to have pictures. Were any parts seized when you took it apart?

Re:

I stripped the Explosif down to a frame earlier this week - and it was absolutely minging filthy....there was more grease outside the bottom bracket than inside it!

It's hard to make out in these pictures, but amongst the splatters were dozens of extra splatters...of rede house paint! Also teh previous owner had used copper slip instead of grease in places, which had basically glued dust and filth onto the paint..

Re:

Yestrerday I spent half the day cleaning, degreasing (lots and lots of degreasing was needed!) and carefully chipping off the blobs of house paint. I also spent quite a whikle degreasing the insiode of teh seat tube, head tube and bottom bracket. If you are wondering why I haven't removed teh fixed cup it is because I can't currently locate my bottom bracet spanners...seeing as I haven't used them for 20 something years!

Anyway, the upshot is the frame came up really nicely in place, but I also found a few new scratches which I had not previously picked up on. Thanksfully I reckon with some very careful work the splatters will hide a multitude of sins...

One nice thing I discovered was the old "Greasesealer sleeve is still intact - I believe these often get removed?

SO, here it is, warts and all:

:cool: very nice condition, the splatter paint is good at hiding little chips and should be easy to cover up too :)

Yes, it’s generally really good - the bit that is worrying me is the big graze along the top tube (2nd pic) - it’s pretty nasty and goes all the way along . I had also forgotten until I cleaned it that the splatters are over the graphics - which makes new decals need very precise application...and they need splatters too. Need to work out how best to do it. I’m wondering about splattering them off the bike and then applying them...

Re:

Looking forward to seeing this rebuild progress.
I guess you will be populating the wanted section in time. :D

Very nice!

When you get a chance could you please give me the length, OD and ID of the rear brake guide / tube? I need to replace mine as it was butchered.

Many thanks

Bullpup":2hqdd3bb said:
Very nice!

When you get a chance could you please give me the length, OD and ID of the rear brake guide / tube? I need to replace mine as it was butchered.

Many thanks

Could measure mine up tomorrow if you need. Singletrack has just bought some new calipers though so will let him get his money's worth :)

Have you got any pics of your Explosif, link maybe?

Mark

Back