time for a rant on prices

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":1xf8q9ji said:
There's no such thing as an artificial price rise though really, is there? Market value is defined by what the market will pay. If people are paying the "inflated" prices, then that is market value, regardless of what you think something should be worth..

Yeah, seems as capitalism bare naked, are you surprised? If you want it, you'll pay for it, simple as that, greed&envy&lust FTW!

Re: Re:

fearfactoryüberalles":39dkg2rn said:
gradeAfailure":39dkg2rn said:
There's no such thing as an artificial price rise though really, is there? Market value is defined by what the market will pay. If people are paying the "inflated" prices, then that is market value, regardless of what you think something should be worth..

Yeah, seems as capitalism bare naked, are you surprised? If you want it, you'll pay for it, simple as that, greed&envy&lust FTW!

Until the bottom falls out of the market, and prices crash only to find their real value once more

Perversely over inflation of prices in most markets opens it up to competition just look at what budget supermarkets are doing to the big four

Capitalism isn’t a bad thing, but let’s leave politics well alone

Re:

Noticed that when some chancer posts a crazy high price for something on ebay and some impatient desperado buys it, the next day 3/4 of the same appear listed at the ‘new price’. Then the items sit unsold for a while until reality kicks back in. Impatient buyers can really drive up prices. This is magnified if some new trend starts and suddenly everybody needs such a part or specific build.

"Real value" still remains at what punters are prepared to cough up regardless what we, as retrobikers (those in the know, eh) consider sensible. If you chase your dreams, you must face these problems ahead. Life's too short anyway-if you can afford the equivalent of a 21 years o' Helena Christensen in bikes, then don't hesitate, just go ahead!

Good luck to him i say :)

If they sell and everyone else sells theirs at the same price, then that is their value, doesnt matter what someone thinks they should be worth or wants to pay for them, thats buisness. Wish i could pay prices from a few years ago on some of the things i buy nowadays :LOL:

Plus i have loads of cheap tat which might be worth something if he does up the market value :cool:

Re:

hi guys some great views we shall just see how it plays out personally I am waiting for the market to either crash or they realise they cannot sell it at a inflated price and then have to sell it for peanuts lol

Re:

Some guy near me always has at least 20 bikes for sale on local Gumtree, some retro, all overpriced (if they were a reasonable price I might have bought one).
Has actually bought one or two bikes from me in the past, only to put them on Gumtree for 3x the price the next day.
They're still for sale almost a year later...

As long as there's a few desperate buyers, or those with more money than sense then you'll get the sellers trying to sell at silly prices.
For some it'll work, for most it won't and they'll stop the price until it sells.

Well, for one the supply is shrinking. Parts wear out and break. NOS in glass cabinets will always demand high prices.

There'll always be people trying to make a quick buck out of price arbitrage, I wouldn't do it myself but I have no problem with it if somebody wants to take that big a risk with their time and money, with the exception of two arguably unethical situations.

1. I take issue with people who try to corner the market. Imagine, for instance if somebody decided they'd buy up all the NOS M900 parts available in the UK, then up the price 4x, so anybody who wanted (or needed, for a build) anything M900 would have no choice except to pay 4x the fair price for those parts. It's something that might work with small, very rare and very high end parts.

2. My other issue (which has happened to me on here before) is when a buyer begs you for a better price, they give you a story of how they really need the part for a build etc., then 2 weeks later you see it relisted here at a much higher price.

ultrazenith":2s39v07p said:
1. I take issue with people who try to corner the market. Imagine, for instance if somebody decided they'd buy up all the NOS M900 parts available in the UK, then up the price 4x, so anybody who wanted (or needed, for a build) anything M900 would have no choice except to pay 4x the fair price for those parts. It's something that might work with small, very rare and very high end parts.

nobody *needs* a 25 year old premium bicycle part no matter how aesthetically pleasing

Back