Have you suffered abuse for riding a retro?

Stick Legs":1mmwkitg said:
The odd thing is that as a fat middle aged bloke if I am riding a Team Motorola replica Eddy Merckx in a team Jersey you'd get a lot of 'nice bike' comments.
If I was on a Team Sky replica Pinarello Dogma in a SKY top I'd be a tw*t.
:LOL:

Re:

No abuse for riding retro but a charming young man deliberately chucked a fire extinguisher right in front of me today as I was taking the Ridgeback 704 out for its first proper ride. That's never happened when I'm riding modern.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":pudzcwua said:
No abuse for riding retro but a charming young man deliberately chucked a fire extinguisher right in front of me today as I was taking the Ridgeback 704 out for its first proper ride. That's never happened when I'm riding modern.

He thought your bike was hot!

Re: Re:

mattbrown":1951o37o said:
CassidyAce":1951o37o said:

He thought your bike was hot!

Or a Kona Fire Mountain.

Case of mistaken identity maybe?

Why would any one give abuse? Aren't we free to buy and ride what ever we want? 9 times out of 10 i see people riding bikes i wouldn't be seen dead on. And i'm sure they see me and don't like the Trimble.
I've noticed the only time i've had/seen problems while out riding its young people getting up tight. They should learn to chill out and or mind their own business.

What I've found is that people who actually ride, rather than chairlifting up and then bumbling down the trail 100% of the time, appreciate the fact I'm hanging (desperately, in most cases, but that's more down to me than the bike) onto their rear wheel. The kids, the 10K carbon santa cruz poseurs and the tourists, usually on rental bikes they can't touch 10% of the capabilities of, and who are paying more for two days bike rental than I paid for the entire bike - "what are you doing on that clapped out old thing". As I ride past them :)

The hell with 'em. I've got mud up to my ears and a grin that nearly reaches round the back of my head...

Re:

You can always remind a sneering mamil on a 10k Santa Cruz about his bikes depreciation :LOL: At least our retros hold their value.

Latest posts

Back