XC Pro Axle swap - argh!

Singletrack74

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all,

Well, just took delivery of some NOS XC Pro 7s hubs, only to discover they are 130Mm spacing on the rear...they took 2 weeks to come from the US, so I can’t be arsed to send them back.

Obviously they are not yet built, so I guess it might be simplest to fit a longer axle, has anyone done this? Any advice would be appreciated...

Suspect I need a 146 axle, but I don’t know what the thread pitch is; 10x1? And then a 2.5mm spacer each end?

Anyone happen to have one kicking around?

I have a vague memory from about 1991 that there was something fiddly swapping an axle out on these due to the cartridge bearings, but could be mistaken....

Re:

How long is the axle? Might be simpler to just shuffle it across a couple of mm and fit a 5mm spacer to the non drive side. You only need a couple of mm to sit in each dropout.

Whichever way you do it, you only want to add the spacer to the non drive side so the chain line is correct.

Is this for the Explosif? have you tried the hub in the frame yet? a 135 is a tight fit in my frame and have thought about running a 130 before.

If you dont sort it, which im sure you will, i might have the 130 axle off you as i need one for another frame :)

Mark

Re: Re:

iveto1983":mf9waoli said:
How long is the axle? Might be simpler to just shuffle it across a couple of mm and fit a 5mm spacer to the non drive side. You only need a couple of mm to sit in each dropout.

Whichever way you do it, you only want to add the spacer to the non drive side so the chain line is correct.

Not long enough - it’s far narrower than the drop outs, it would barely engage in the frame unfortunately...

Wouldn’t having it off-centred mean it would end up dished weirdly?

mkone":16pfbeah said:
Is this for the Explosif? have you tried the hub in the frame yet? a 135 is a tight fit in my frame and have thought about running a 130 before.

If you dont sort it, which im sure you will, i might have the 130 axle off you as i need one for another frame :)

Mark

Yep, but I measured the dropouts with my shiny new vernier calliper and it definitely ought to be a 146...

Rod_Saetan":3n23jphq said:
Standard Shimano spec axle, they come apart easily.

Aren’t the bearings on XC Pro pressfitted into the hub body? I seem to recall they got destroyed by a shop taking them out back in the day?

Re:

Xc pro do have sealed cartridge bearings. Must have been a poor shop to have destroyed a hub.

You might get away with juggling things around and adding a spacer. You could get away with this on m900 hubs iirc. If you have a complete hub, I think I still have an xc something other than pro rear hub in 135. You'd just need to swap over the axle and spacers, keeping your xc pro cone bits and voila.

Rod_Saetan":2tnxmcmz said:
Standard Shimano spec axle, they come apart easily.

This.

Just swap the axles, but include a 5mm spacer on the nd side. Although the bearings are pressed into the hub shell the axle is a standard 10x1mm threaded item, all you need are some cone spanners to do the job.

Singletrack74":14474acm said:
mkone":14474acm said:

Mark

Yep, but I measured the dropouts with my shiny new vernier calliper and it definitely ought to be a 146...

Lucky you had just bought them :)

Back