Is it bad to buy a minter for parts

Re: Re:

drystonepaul":2co0lj30 said:
I hate seeing bikes that have survived otherwise unscathed for the past 30 years bought up and broken.
Especially if it's only done for profit.

Depends on the circumstances to some extent though.

Obviously there are many bikes that it would be a crime to split, ones of great historical value, race bikes and very rare bikes etc.. I think we are responding to the fact the bike is a mass produced with quality parts that can breathe new life into another 'better' bike.

I for one have broken down several bikes over the years that have deserved their fate. I remember one bike that rode so badly that it needed a mercy killing... which it got!

al.

Who cares? A rear mech is a rear mech is a rear mech. Unless its something special, it doesnt matter. Just because its 'survived' thirty years - so what, its been sat unused and unloved somewhere.

Nothing worse than an unridden bicycle. A complete waste, like an unsmelt fart or uneaten cake.

Re:

I care. All rear mechs are special...

Unused doesn't necessarily mean something is unloved, and conversely just because a part or parts get built onto something doesn't exclusively then mean that it's done out of a passion for building and riding bikes.

I did say that it depends on circumstances.

Al nailed it with his comment about whether or not the bike is of historical significance etc. That would of course be heresy. But how many great bikes have been broken out of ignorance?
If a mass produced mint condition 'survivor' is broken up to build up another 'better' bike then I still think it's a little sad a sacrifice but I can totally get it.

I guess my main issue is nice original bikes that are hoovered up not to be ridden and loved, but when they are bought for the specific purpose of splitting just to sell the parts on.

Re:

Defo Paul and agree with most of what you say. To see a nice bike on ebay then see it appear as parts the next week (for a huge mark up) is sad.

Must admit though I did split a XT equipped Carrera in the past. Sold the frame on for peanuts but still have the groupset sitting waiting for the correct 1989 build. :cool:

M-Power":39l59u0v said:
I wanna know what Al means by a ‘mercy killing’ :LOL:

I lobbed the frame into a recycling bin at the dump... I just hope it went into a crusher and wasn't rescued by some poor unfortunate.

I was going to saw it in half, but wasn't worth the effort.

al.

Re:

The essence of a retro bike for me is in the frame, forks and stem (and maybe wheelset, depends on the bike). Everything else can usually be sourced fairly easily to make the bike "whole" again if that's what the new owner wants.
At the end of the day you're a grown up (maybe assuming a bit much there knowing a few on here :LOL: ) and able to make your own decisions. You own the bike so can do what you want with it, who gives a crap what anyone else thinks! we can all offer opinions on what to do but the choice is yours and yours alone.

al":nyw6w1zk said:
M-Power":nyw6w1zk said:
I wanna know what Al means by a ‘mercy killing’ :LOL:

I lobbed the frame into a recycling bin at the dump... I just hope it went into a crusher and wasn't rescued by some poor unfortunate.

I was going to saw it in half, but wasn't worth the effort.

al.

Harsh but fair :LOL: I noticed the guys at my local recycling centre always separate out the bikes and stack them up beside a big shipping container :?

Back