judy elastomer to spring convertion

themountie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hi guys i bought my orange e3 and the judys elastomers are toast

is it poss to do a spring conversion or am i stuck making elastomers for them

Yes, there were a few kits available, come up now and again but go quick :)

Just do a search on here, there are a few threads about it ;)

:LOL: straight answer - yes you can.

Which bit confuses you? its just a case of waiting for a judy spring conversion kit to come up for sale or put a wanted ad up for one ;)

Yes it is possible. I did it to my Judy fork a few years ago. I bought the Kronos Springs kit. it was about 30 US dollars and it was a quick swap.

Re:

BITD the consensus was that the fork was a bit under damped switchign to using springs only, advice was to swap one side to using a spring and keep the other as elastomers. Not much help to you if your elastomers are toast, but may help if two people want to share a set.
Iddon speed springs were the ones I used BITD I think.

there was someone on here who converted some early judys to the later hydracoil system, but tbh i'd just lob them and get some short-travel early bombers on

That was me: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/wiki/Special ... conversion

You can use just about any coil that has the same diameter and the right length. And by any I mean any RS coil taken out of newer forks. If you feel the dampening is not enough, you can use a heavier oil in the dampener. Chances are thou, that your dampening cartridge will loose oil because of the seals age-failing. Or it is already cracked if its the plastic version.

Thats (partly) why I did that conversion to hydracoil.

Re:

Strip out what you have and see what's what.

ive no experience with oil damping forks but, no stranger to spring/air ones.

depending on what system you have you can swap out with donor parts. just get the stack height matched and you cant go far wrong. then, its a case of trial and error.

i often rob springs from buggered forks....

Attachments

• Photo0775.jpg
    Photo0775.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 556
Back