Marinovative Decelerators - My attempt to make my own pair.

Good idea! I think I have a set of these in a drawer somewhere. I'll give them a try.

Or maybe make my own pair ? :D

Re:

Love this thread!

It was this mix of problem-solving, creative thinking and shed engineering that made mountain biking such fun back in the day!

Interesting on that picture in the RH corner has the rollers on the back of the arms. I guess there is no reason why the arms couldn't be turned around 180 if the cable routing causes an acute angle?

That's no difference. The arms are symmetrical, so you can flip them around or mount the rollers on the back side (because the hole for the fastener goes all the way through). Or mount the left one on the right side. All the same.

What is not the same, is the looks thou. With the rollers behind the arms it doesn't look as good. Imho.

I will have to do that when I mount them to my pinnacle frame. Because otherwise it won't work. (Did I write that already? :facepalm: )

Re:

You could reverse the wheels to get the best cable line and avoid the cable popping off the wheels. Same with Rollercams and IRDs.

If you need to get cable loops made then sailing shops/chandlers can often crimp loops of cable together (the originals used loops rather than the single cable approach of IRDs)

I am nearly finished with this project. I did about 200km with the first pair on my daily commuter with very satisfying performance. No problems except for the occasionally freezing brake cable. And that has nothing to do with the brakes themselves.
Currently I am making the second pair. They are nearly finished. Just made the rounded top caps with a tool that is normally used on a mill to make rounded corners. But it works on the lathe, too :D

Next will be the brake pads. I think I will make 4 pad holders similar to the Scott/Matthauser type. But I'm aiming to use Koolstop Dura2 brake pads.

Shop update!
The brake pads are still in the works, because I got distracted. I somehow got the idea to make my own pair of hubs to fit my DIY Kleiningham build.

Those are nearly finished, too. Maybe there is someone out there who likes to see them, too?

:D

I only did the hubs outer parts. The axeles, bearings and all the freewheel parts I salvaged from broken hubs. It was a Ringle hub for the front. And a Magura/Hügi for the rear.

Back