solved - Marzocchi Bomber Z2 damper + 1/31 added tooltip

Re: Re:

ishaw":axbl3zbc said:
I could be wrong, but that thread looks to be reversed. Try clockwise.

You're right, I've noticed also. But it makes no difference. The rod turns freely both ways. I'm sure there's a simple trick but it's not obvious to me yet.

Re:

By the way, the reason I want to take it loose is because a former owner put a rubber hose around the connecting rod. Therefore the travel is limited to a ridiculous 10 mm. The other forks are the same type but don't have this. I don't know the reason for this strange conversion. But it turns the Bomber from a great plush fork into a rock.

Re:

I've had another look at the picture.
Not seen that damper rod setup before. So it's only guesswork from me, so much easier when you can fiddle in your hands.

Anyway, under that spring and plastic area but is there a thin spanner slot you can get at.

Probably time for me to scan the manual
(2001 z2 atom race ? ) http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/index-16.htm

Re:

Ah...
Throat lack bit under it and above the white protector washer, is part of the rubber bodge coving.

Hack that away and under it should be the spanner slot. (Look at that other one you have).

Re: dismantling Marzocchi Bomber Z2 damper unit - help needed

Am rebuilding some 2001 atoms at the moment. On mine I can simply hold the large nut in one hand, and turn the threaded rod anticlockwise until it passes completely out through the large nut. It is quite fine threaded so at first there is a sense of it not unthreading. If you turn the threaded rod clockwise too far i think it drops off the thread inside the large nut and feels like it just continually turns as you describe. Perhaps the rubber is holding the threaded rod off from picking up the internal thread of the large nut. Try pushing down on the threaded rod as you turn it anticlockwise, so as to 'pick up' the internal thread of the large nut.

Just one other comment - should be no real need for force or spanners, since this rod/nut arrangement is what you adjust by hand anyway once the shocks are built. There are no 'stops' on the rod or large nut to jam up against. The large nut is shaped to stop it turning when housed inside the outer retaining plug.

Re:

Thanks guys. I'll put your advise into action one of the coming evenings. Will be back with the results.

Ill look at the pics again but im not sure why it wont unscrew.
Ive had a dozen of these in bits and its always just been a simple matter of holding the large section and screwing in the rebound cartridge thread.
Its a reverse thread so you turn it the other way and it should turn very freely :?

I've a rebound cartridge, and the top bits in your pic sitting on my lap presently. Im just going through it all.
(The large diameter bit that sits against the spring isnt side orientated, so its not a 'on wrong side' issue.

Im just seeing if it will screw down far enough to either jam, or come off the thread

Did above and for the wider section to come off it would need to screw down a lot further than the threads you have showing there.

Take 19mm(or whatever it is) spanner on the large hex section - this hex section is nothing to do with a nut or bolt, its merely the shape to fit under the top cap, along with I think its an 8mm on the bit of the rebound cartridge that the coloured adjuster turns against
Hold the 18mm and turn the 8mm anticlockwise.
There should be no reason for it not undoing :?

Incidentally, those rubber o rings should be taken off.

Ive not seen them there and dont think theyre original, so remove and see if theres anything underneath might account for the bits not unthreading :?

Back