solved - Marzocchi Bomber Z2 damper + 1/31 added tooltip

Remko

Senior Retro Guru
Hi,

I´m a fan of Marzocchi Bomber forks and have bought a couple of Z2 Bomber Atom forks last year. Yesterday I finally found the time to take the forks apart and check the condition. Distmantling the fork is fairly straightforward. The only thing that I´m not getting done is taking the spring loose from the damper unit. The manual suggests with a minimal description that this is an easy step but I really have no idea how to untighten the big nut (see picture below). If I turn it counterclockwise to loosen it the inner rod turns with it.

Does anyone have an idea how this can be done?

Thanks very much.

Attachments

• IMG_20180120_120852430_crop_478x624.jpg
    IMG_20180120_120852430_crop_478x624.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_20180120_123452891_crop_971x563.jpg
    IMG_20180120_123452891_crop_971x563.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 523
Re:

You should be able to unscrew the preload collar with an adjustable wrench. That's the inch long internally threaded piece holding the spring down.

Re:

Can't remember, Allen key on from the other end to keep the rid still ?

Or bolt it back into the lower leg.

Designed changed a bit 2001 ?

Re: Re:

eshew":31g2vda4 said:
You should be able to unscrew the preload collar with an adjustable wrench. That's the inch long internally threaded piece holding the spring down.

My thoughts too, but as the rod turns freely there's no unscrewing taking place.

FluffyChicken":16b8v1r9 said:
Can't remember, Allen key on from the other end to keep the rid still ?

Or bolt it back into the lower leg.

Designed changed a bit 2001 ?

Thanks for your thought. Putting it back in doesn't fix the rod. And it doesn't leave space to reach the nut. No possibility to fix from the underside also.

eshew":r70bkvly said:
You should be able to get a 2nd wrench on the nut above the little o-ring.

That's the adjuster knob. It turns freely also to a certain end point. It looks fragile to be honest and not meant to withstand the force I'm putting on the large nut.
You might be right but I want to be sure first that it's the right way.

Re:

Next step would be to cover the Jaws of vice grips or large pliers with 4-5 strips of strong tape or fabric and grip the threads above the preload bolt and back it off. Pay attention to which way the threads go in case they're reversed.

eshew":13gae4go said:
Next step would be to cover the Jaws of vice grips or large pliers with 4-5 strips of strong tape or fabric and grip the threads above the preload bolt and back it off. Pay attention to which way the threads go in case they're reversed.

Yep, that should work. I'm sure Marzocchi has thought out another way but it's a good option. I'll keep it in mind. For the moment I'll do some more searching on the web.

Re:

Good luck,

Don't be afraid of putting some heat on that adjuster nut to loosen it up. Doesn't need to be red hot but a bit of warmth can do wonders. Be careful of the plastic bits. Think maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute with a lighter. Don't burn your fingers

Back