Any Arthur Caygill Owners Out There?

Neilios

Retro Guru
Hi,

I'm attempting to restore my old Arthur Caygill 653 to the exact spec it was when new. I'm slowly collecting the parts that got replaced over the years but am having trouble tracking down the original paint codes. Sadly I had it repainted years and years back and it's now a metallic red colour.

Are there any other owners on here? Even better, are there any owners with the same paint job?! Here's a picture of it the day I got it.

Cheers,

Neilios

Attachments

• 20171130075420221_0001.png
    20171130075420221_0001.png
    150.2 KB · Views: 585
Factory Jackson":3e8f1plo said:
Have you tried contacting the shop? They will probably know. Arthur still works there.

Thanks :) I don't live too far away from Richmond, I actually took the bike in and had a good chat with Arthur, it's a proper bike shop that one, good to see in this day!

He was really helpful and genuinely interested, even gave me a copy of the build sheet, which I never had for it (it was built for a show not for me). He could remember the paint jobs but not the names of the colours. He seemed to think they'd be RAL, but while I can find shades that look close, none of them are jumping out at me so I'm not 100% convinced. I could order some testers and paint some tubes and try and figure it out, but I want it spot on.

I was wondering if his old framebuilder would remember, I'd have felt a bit cheeky asking if they were still in touch though!
I reckon the next best thing would be to see if there's anyone out there with one in these colours that I could take a look at.

Cheers again.

Neil

Try Bob Jackson's, I think they painted a lot of caygill frames back in the day - when I had my frame redone I took it to them and they mentioned it, they certainly had the decals to hand and I remember the original colours of my bike in their samples. That was a few years ago though, things might have changed

That's a good shout foz, the swatches on their website sound more familiar. Leeds is only an hour from me, I could nip down there and have a flick through.

I had it in my head that someone on the same industrial estate as Arthur used to paint them for him, but when I asked last time I was in, he said he used to send them down south.

:cool: Bob Jackson could not have been less helpful!! I'm going with Argos. I'll start a resto thread soon. Thanks for the help everyone :cool:

Back