Seek and ye shall find.

Re:

I assume they're hex head?

Find a Torx bit that is just too big to fit inside the rounded off hex and knock it in with a hammer, then gently undo as normal. With luck, knocking the torx bit in will break the seal between the bolt & the stem. Plenty of plusgas in advance will help too.

videojetman":3k0f3t5d said:
I have a bit of a problem.
the grub screws which bolt the stems to the legs. 4 are seized and the grub screw heads are rounding off.
any ideas on getting the grub screws out once the heads are rounded off ?

Hi there, been in this situation far too often for my liking...

I have only ever found that, removing drive-face knackered fasteners, on everything from unimog differentials, to magnesium cast, motorised trials bike crankcase covers, success depends on cycles of:
Penetrating oil/fluid - heat - as much heat as can be tolerated by the item - penetrating liquid - heat and repeat and repeat.
If your part can't tolerate or would be warped etc by brazing flame, use a boiling kettle or a hair dryer (please not at the same time tho :facepalm: ). Then after more releasing fluid, the freezer. Then more hair drying, repeat!

You might get away with an oversize tool in the fastener, so long as you've done the best of the above you can.

Use ez outs ( stud extractors) as a last resort, unless you can drill a deep enough cavity in the stud with genuine prescision. If you can get a vice grip on the stump etc first, try that, again after heat, spray, cool, etc, etc.

If you are using the stud extractor tools, sidestep the screwfix ones and go directly for snap-on ones.. I used to buy them individually, in the size I needed and they didn't explode like the aforementioned.

Good luck, I feel your pain!

Re:

Nice one mate.

Make sure you keep your unicorn this time, it's not just a bike when you go to such length to restore it. Innit.

;)

Re:

I had this recently and tried everything then found with a blowtorch that the threadlock which i hadn't thought of burnt off and the bolt came out easily :facepalm:

just a thought ;)

Just an update, the guy who was going to sell me the stems & bar decided to take them back. So they will be stuck in his shed never to be used again. So I am looking to have 2 of these stems remade.

videojetman":3qrt4c3s said:
Just an update, the guy who was going to sell me the stems & bar decided to take them back. So they will be stuck in his shed never to be used again. So I am looking to have 2 of these stems remade.

Thats very sad, much better to be in use.
:(

Gruff":3lpvm7fu said:
videojetman":3lpvm7fu said:

Thats very sad, much better to be in use.
:(
I know. But I will still be able to ride my bike once I get the new stems.
And the guy who took the stems back will reap what he has sewn.

Aargh! That's got to be frustrating! Sorry to hear about the struggle.

What are the diameters of those legs? Are they standard 1" or 1-1/8" ? It would be kind of awesome with dual syncros or control tech stems.

Back