ID: Sub 2kg mid 90s steel frame - with TB P2 but not Kona?

Re: Re:

CTK":1z59lktd said:
Not a KHS, but no idea what.

I cant be sure of the year without looking, but we did have a couple of years where certain models were shipped with very small differences and normally the second container that arrived, predominantly subtle differences in things like cable route, but despite the catalogue specs, most of the uk models came with the rigid fork and not the suspension as shown as the only option in the catalogue (dependent on model of course) this was due to the import cost and end retail price on the shop floors. all the paint and decals remained the same but things like cable route differed, Some on top and some to the side, seat tubes were reinforced at the top on some and yet not on others. The straight blade fork was the same far east produced unit with a different decal we presumed. We never got to the bottom of why, whether it was originally an order diverted and intended for a different market, or it was simply an increase in unit orders from a different far east manufacturer to meets the increase in volume for the Owners of the brand, At the time it really wasn't a question that was a concern we were just happy to have stock, of which Cycle Surgery took most.

I cant honestly tell you without looking what details mine has, ie cable run etc, but it certainly came with the rigid fork, and was from the first shipment, i think it was the small differences to what i was given that made me pay so much attention at the time.. :oops:

Re: ID: 2 kg mid 90s steel frame - with TB P2 but not Kona?

And i cant remember for sure, but hazy memory says they were all still True Temper tubing with Ritchey Dropouts at this point/model year (or at least stickered) regardless of the small differences, or at least both shipments we received were. It wasn't long after this, we only saw Aluminium.

Re: Re:

P_451":33ggjh23 said:
Vintage KHS with a 1 1/8 inch steerer would be an uncommon combo... Could you be more specific, about the model/year? Anyways, I'll look into it - thanks.

I cant say if yours left the far east in the same colours of even with KHS decals now its been painted, who knows, but a lot of stock had gone over to 1/18th some later shipments were even arriving with Ahead too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A real indicator is the company i guess, if you look at the history of their products on the whole they have always been very good at getting the far east to replicate popular designs, the Soft tail, all there suspension designs from day one are good examples of others work made in the far east. The Kona esque design cues aren't just limited to the steel frames dependent on year either, they even had Sandvik make there titanium which also mimics the popular train of thought.

im sure there were some other small US builders also fabricating batches for them, but this isnt something we saw much of if any.

CTK":1qawm784 said:
I remember different dropouts on KHS, like on this auction

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KHS-PR ... SwdGFYnQCh

You right, we saw it all the time, some would have mudguard eyes for example and some wouldnt. It was almost like a different far east manufacturer was ask to step up production, or at least full fill full order books. Remembering of course here we were a small importing company. In other countries they were massive mail order sales. (supergo etc). by comparison uk sales were tiny.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The best I can do I'm afraid.

Attachments

• KHS straight blade fork.png
    KHS straight blade fork.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 599

Just spoke to Martin, and the best he could remember was they were catalogue spec until stock dried up. Its then differences seemed to appear. Remembering they came out of the far east.

I was incorrect ref the forks too, it was cheaper to import with rigid forks, and stock the suspension options separately. Having them ready for dealers who wanted the Rock Shox for example.

I was right reference the small differences, but it doesn't get us any closer to knowing if this one left the factory badged as a KHS, or something else I'm afraid or even if it was destined for the UK market.

Breaking news: it's from Germany. I called the seller, and he said that the previous owner brought it from there. Maybe he said it earlier, but all my eyes and ears were back then on the fork - I didn't care about the past because I knew it was from Konaworld. But with the frame, the past surprisingly matters. But does it change anything?

I took the KHS lead seriously, and I've been busy with it. Based on everything that I saw and read online, I would dare to say that KHS is not the prime suspect here - there is just too many things wrong too often. The noodle is difficult to see, because for obvious reasons people and companies take photos from the drive side, but you can see the bridge stops for the rear brake. Cable routing was something else than top mounted. And with the head tube, they were true laggards when adopting the oversize concept. Then, add the curved seat tube tops and the seat post binder bolts to the equation, plus the Ritchey dropouts (an exception that proves the rule: their existence is plausible, although I didn't see any of them), and try to find them in a KHS frame...

Back to square one.

Back