Mecacycle Turbo - 1987?

Re:

Very nice and rare bike.
As I said to you on MTBR :
You got a nice part of french mtb history !
Mecacycles was a french frame builder. He made the first mtb in France in 1983 and the boss, Raymond Crozet, raced the really first Roc d'Azur in 1984. They usually built the frame with steel an preferred filled brazed them. In 1987 he built some carbon fiber frame with the same TVT tubes used by Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond on the 1986 Tour de France.
But Megacycles desapeared in the end of 80ies.

Re:

Now that is a cool mtb, afraid I can't help with any information.
Added some photos to this thread because it's such an interesting frame.

Attachments

• 00101_fSr4Skflnpc_1200x900.jpg
    00101_fSr4Skflnpc_1200x900.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 742
  • 00X0X_epLzC9a1i2_1200x900.jpg
    00X0X_epLzC9a1i2_1200x900.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 742
Re: Re:

24pouces":3mkl5wt5 said:
Very nice and rare bike.
As I said to you on MTBR :
You got a nice part of french mtb history !
Mecacycles was a french frame builder. He made the first mtb in France in 1983 and the boss, Raymond Crozet, raced the really first Roc d'Azur in 1984. They usually built the frame with steel an preferred filled brazed them. In 1987 he built some carbon fiber frame with the same TVT tubes used by Bernard Hinault and Greg Lemond on the 1986 Tour de France.
But Megacycles desapeared in the end of 80ies.

Thanks! :xmas-cool:
Just looking for more info as the frame is hanging in the garage shop.

Re:

If you read french, I wrote that article on a Mecacycle, but not the Turbo, the top of Range…
http://www.generationmountainbike.com/a ... ercors.pdf

The Turbo was filled brazed with Vitus Rocky/Vitus Stone tubeset (or Excell french tubes) and makes the frame quite light for a pre-90 steel frame. Raymond Crozet subdivided the seat tube in to part for a better lateral stiffness and for building shorter stays. He used first that design on his road frame. Raymond Crozet didn't copied what was made in USA but preferred to find his own solution.
As I told you, Mecacycle was the first artisanal MTB maker in France in 1983 and he built one of the first MTB carbon fiber in 1987 (with fishing tubes bonded in a steel frame), the same year of the Kestrel MXZ. That bike won the Long race across Africa, the Paris-Gao Dakar. In the beginning of 90ies, Raymond Crozet stopped Mecacycle and works for Vitus and Stronglight.
I try to find some french magazine article scans

Back